Horizon Tonight BBC 2 9pm

This forum is for topics or posts that do not fit into any other forum, this includes online games such as word Association etc.

Moderator: Moderators

dewaltdisney

Horizon Tonight BBC 2 9pm

Post by dewaltdisney »

Looks like an interesting programme tonight about the technology moving towards driverlesss cars. It might be of interest to some of you :thumbright: It might be boring.... :dunno:

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Dave54
Rating: 7.14%
fitzy
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Re: Horizon Tonight BBC 2 9pm

Post by fitzy »

I'm waiting for decoratorless decorating to come out.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
wobs
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by wobs »

fitzy wrote:I'm waiting for decoratorless decorating to come out.

Well 5Live was talking about robots laying bricks in about 30years, so they might get around to decorating one day.
These users thanked the author wobs for the post:
fitzy
Rating: 7.14%
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

wobs wrote:
fitzy wrote:I'm waiting for decoratorless decorating to come out.

Well 5Live was talking about robots laying bricks in about 30years, so they might get around to decorating one day.
I suppose it'll depend on how long it takes 'em to finish the all the building work, first and second fixes, plastering etc. :lol:

Cheers DWD I'll make a point of recording that. I reckon we'll be seeing these things before too long. Once they're proved to be safer than humans it'll only be a matter of time. . .
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

.............I can see it now

Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Driverless cars will never be able to react to dogs/cats running into the road though will they ?
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

wine~o wrote:Driverless cars will never be able to react to dogs/cats running into the road though will they ?

At about 11:00 mins. OK it's a duck not a dog. :lol:
joinerjohn

Post by joinerjohn »

I could have done with a driverless car yesterday. Specially a few minutes before I skidded into the rear end of a Toyota Hi Ace van. Damn, and damn again. I'm looking at £200 for a second hand bumper off EBay to replace mine with. Bloody £200 for a lump of sodding second hand plastic. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :cb :cb :cb
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

Can't decide whether to be pleased (to have the d*cks taken off the road) or seriously p*ss*d off if they ban 'driven' cars in favour of driverless. I can imagine that driverless cars will be a right PITA to normal road users too and proving who was in the wrong n the event of a crash ???? Will courts default to the real driver 'always' being the wrong un?

Autopilot function.... yeah, maybe. I have cruise control and auto gearbox so other than looking where I'm going it's as close to driverless as I'll ever get :lol:

Getting close to 60 now..... starting to act like a luddite.... :roll:
Don't take it personally......
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Ultimately self driving cars will be safer, cheaper and more efficient. However there is going to be a difficult transition period first.

Testing of driverless cars on real roads in the USA show them to be much safer than normal cars, but when they do have accidents they will held to a much higher standard than a human driver and when the first death occurs there will be a knee jerk, out of proportion response to it.
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

See like, post-program, many of the contributors had some of the same reservations as myself. Hardly a surprise but at least it gave the program some balance - Horizon tending to be leaning towards one side very much these days.

The bit from the Nissan bloke enthusing though...... :roll: No mention of WHERE the electricity is to come from, the inordinate cost of the vehicles, the range (crap), the environmental impact of lithium battery production etc. Now THAT was a typical 'enviro piece' by Horizon - to bypass the issues.

Didn't consider the approach of 'harassment' of self-driving cars by other road users either :lol: Sounds like a plan :thumbright:
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

It was quite interesting although there was unnecessary padding out and stating the bleedin' obvious at times. Quite frankly the introduction of auto drive must be all at once for it to work which is impossible. If you have some cars driverless and other older driven cars together it is a recipe for disaster. There needs to be a black box developed to get the basic things for all cars such as a forced adaptive speed control on motorways. Let alone the cost, this would have to be all fitted over a lead in period and then have a switching on day. I just cannot see it happening.

I am not sure I learned much.

DWD
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

dewaltdisney wrote: I am not sure I learned much.
DWD
I felt a bit like that as well. I didn't know about the various levels of autonomy beforehand. Otherwise it didn't say a lot.
Personally I'd be happy driving myself or being driven by an autonomous car. I no longer see most driving as any sort of pleasure.
I think there are more and more people on the road who shouldn't be driving for various reasons. You only have to drive around for an hour to see that.
I used to enjoy riding motorbikes, I rode for many years with no accidents apart from a few minor falls mostly when I was younger, but behaviour on the roads got worse, and in the end not having a yearning for "death by idiot who didn't see me" I stopped some years back.
Electric cars though? I'm sure they're wonderful in all sorts of ways. Apart from the batteries and where the energy is going to come from. . .
Want to save the planet?
Stop driving.
Last edited by Dave54 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I have a virtual driverless car as I am directed, corrected and abused continually by Mrs D :lol:

DWD
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

Dave54 wrote: Want to save the planet?
That's a statement that riles me - despite all the cr@p the likes of India and China throw out (thousands upon thousands more than 'we' do) it is the self-obsessive green do-gooders that try to enforce the idea that it is 'you and me' that is to be the death knell of the planet.

They need to save their ire for the overseas polluters and demand that heavy industry returns to the UK where emissions and pollution controls are strictly enforced.

Well before 'we' ruin the planet, the planet will 'ruin' us.

Return to “The Lounge”