Cars to avoid.

Vehicle maintenance and repair questions in here please for all questions relating to Cars, Vans etc.

Moderator: Moderators

ayjay

Re: Cars to avoid.

Post by ayjay »

wine~o wrote:
fin wrote:£300 deposit like

month warranty

:dunno: I thought that all second hand car dealers had to give a 3 months parts warranty unless it was sold as trade to trade or for spares/repair ? some sort of legislation back in 2000 and summat.
I don't think it applies to vans - that would be too sensible for any government to come up with.
One day it will all be firewood.
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

ayjay wrote:
wine~o wrote:
fin wrote:£300 deposit like

month warranty

:dunno: I thought that all second hand car dealers had to give a 3 months parts warranty unless it was sold as trade to trade or for spares/repair ? some sort of legislation back in 2000 and summat.
I don't think it applies to vans - that would be too sensible for any government to come up with.
I think that it's vehicles bought for business use it doesn't apply to.
I'm not sure about it, but I know as a business user (of anything) you don't have the same rights as a consumer. I found this
http://www.lawgistics.co.uk/legal-artic ... 60g1k.dpbs
Which is from a sellers POV, but does give some insight. Basically, as a business user you're back to the sale of goods act 1979.
Again looking online it gives quite a lot less rights to businesses than "consumers"
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

SFAIA the sale of good act has been superseded (is that even a word ?? ) by the consumer rights act of 2015

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ ... rights-act
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

Yes, but if you buy a van for work, you're not considered to be a "consumer"
Different set of rules with less rights.

It's under "who is a consumer" on that page I linked to above.
fin

Post by fin »

this is the van,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-MASTE ... 1438.l2649

looks well. it seems a nice van. obv ya not buying a new van so ya cant expect like perfection.

it has a couplea dints and like the wing mirror covers area a bit scratched. but even if they were brand new theyd be scratched in a weeks time.
fin

Post by fin »

although.... seeing this on ebay did have me thinking,....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-VOLKSWAG ... 2510598995
MatMan
Newly registered Member

Post by MatMan »

Mine has to be the Renault Laguna MKII (2001)

It was actually a really nice car to drive, but I spent over £2,500 in repairs over a 10 month period. Everything that could have gone wrong with it did! It's put me off Renault altogether now.
fin

Post by fin »

forgot all about this thread...

ended up getting the van.

drove fine. brought it back up to south shields and it was fine. drove it round for bout a month. took it out of shields so got a bit speed up..... put it into 5th...... wopwopwopwopwop....

ended up having to get the box rebuilt. whilst it was in the garage my mate runs he said clutch was fecked. flywheel feckd. and discs and pads too. and crankshaft oil seal.

got the box re conned and the rest of the bits all done for £1100

van drives sound now though.

i also never got any service history the bastards. said it would follow on as it was still to arrive with them. ive since rang renault and asked them and they have a record of 1 service carried out at 25k miles approx. so it may have had services done by independent garages.

i did try ringing the garage and the owner told me they wouldnt let me down and they would sort me out and this and that. lieing tw*ts
gildasd

Post by gildasd »

I’d take a couple of hours and a few hundred quids and change all fluids and filters...
Might need a couple of oil/filter changes in a few thousand miles before it is cleanish.

As my chief mechanic says: “fresh lube makes everything better”.
Nos

Post by Nos »

Paying a lot of money for a car does not mean less problems, one of the most unreliable cars are the Bentleys, my late son bought the top of the range BMW convertible, over 50k, it was a nightmare, most of problems were electrical, he didn't keep it to long, it did have a nice touch though, when it broke down or went into limp mode, it would always tell you and show you where the nearest dealer was, the problem was that a lot of dealers didn't have the correct diagnostic equipment to sort it out, so onto a slide back it went. ::b. He then got a Golf gti again top of the range, it had a electronic handbrake, didn't always release :dunno: embarrassing in carparks. Nos

Return to “Vehicle maintenance & Repair”