Leaking Shed roof

Please post all of your gardening questions in here and one of our green fingered members will try and help.

Moderator: Moderators

stevec59
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Leaking Shed roof

Post by stevec59 »

Hi,
We moved into our bungalow about 2 years ago, when we bought it there was a 'Potting Shed', we have no idea how old the shed is. I've already had to repair some rotten window frames, now I notice that the roof is leaking because my tool box has some water in it, there doesn't seem to be any sagging in the roof. The roof is a 'Pent roof' approx. 5ft wide by 6ft deep, currently it's covered with some plastic material, I did think it might be damp course material. I think the wood on the roof is quite thin, it's a ship lap shed, so tongue and groove and the side about 6 mm thick, not sure how thick the roof is but I'm guessing the same. So, how do I repair it, the chances of getting 6mm Shiplap is slim, I could get some normal 6mm wood, maybe Exterior Ply and patch up, as it's only the back corner at the moment, Or do I go for OSB, then it's a case of, do I put the OSB on top of the existing Shiplap or Remove.

And then finally I need to replace the plastic cover, I'm thinking as the shed is old and may need to be replaced in the next 5 - 10 years that I would go for some cheap felt, any thoughts?

Thanks

Steve
wine~o

Re: Leaking Shed roof

Post by wine~o »

:dunno: Pics?

felt might work or if you are flush EPDM
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
davyp1

Post by davyp1 »

Strip the plastic off so you can establish the condition of the roof (is it rotten etc.)
If sound, and I'm assuming your after a quick fix just buy a roll of some Green Mineral Felt & a bag of galv. felt nails.
Cut a length of felt to suit the width with a couple of inches overlap at each end.
Then with this first piece of felt positioned over the lowest part of the pitched roof and a couple of inches overlap at this point too, nail down with the felt nails around the perimeter (150mm between them & 3 or 4 across the centre)
Cut a further piece as the 1st and position it with about 100mm overlap to the top of the 1st piece.
Nail down and repeat until complete.

davyp1
These users thanked the author davyp1 for the post:
stevec59
Rating: 7.14%
stevec59
Newly registered Member

Post by stevec59 »

Thanks Guys, sorry for the delay, been finishing off my last project.
I bought 5m x 1m of green felt yesterday £19.99), I'll putt back / remove the plastic roofing and have a look at the wood.

Why do people put wooden battens on the roof as in the picture?
Attachments
PlastisRoofCovering1.JPG
PlastisRoofCovering1.JPG (115.44 KiB) Viewed 2903 times
PlasticRoofCovering2.JPG
PlasticRoofCovering2.JPG (175.76 KiB) Viewed 2903 times
InsideRoof2.JPG
InsideRoof2.JPG (174.03 KiB) Viewed 2903 times
InsideRoof1.JPG
InsideRoof1.JPG (163.76 KiB) Viewed 2903 times
davyp1

Post by davyp1 »

I didn't mention wooden battens in case I confused you.
Wooden batons used externally enable a standard smaller round head nail to be used in stead of
a large head fent nail.
On a pitched roof like yours, you would need to run your batons 'down' the roof and not across.
Start with one at each outside edge and space the rest at approx 2ft between them.
Using nailing batons secures the nail where a standard headed nail coul just pull through the felt.

Hope you enjoy doing it!

davyp1
These users thanked the author davyp1 for the post:
stevec59
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

I suspect someone has used clout nails longer than the thickness of the roof material. I made this mistake many years ago and there was leakage around where the clout nails protruded on the inside of the roof. I'd recommend re-covering your shed roof and use 13mm clout nails if your shed roof is 18mm thick and use longer clout nails if your shed roof material is thicker. Just ensure the nails don't penetrate through the underside.
These users thanked the author Argyll for the post:
stevec59
stevec59
Newly registered Member

Post by stevec59 »

Thanks Guys. Actually the battens were screwed down and I think they laid the plastic in the wrong direction, the put it across the shed, so that means that rain water can get underneath, if I replace it with felt going sideways, I think that should stop that.
So, I've removed 3 Planks, please see pictures, some of the external 'Beams?' are a bit discoloured (please see pics), but they don't seem too bad and I think that they would be awkward to replace as I'd have to take up all the planks and chances are that they would spilt.
Question, why is there an 'Internal Beam' and an external one, as far as I'm concerned the internal one is the one that is slightly orange in the pictures, where I've put some fence paint on, why not just fit the roof planks to the internal one and don't have an external beam?

The planks are T&G 12mm thick x 2m, I could either replace, or I have some 12mm Exterior grade ply I could use, any Thoughts?

Many Thanks for all the help, Yes I'm enjoying doing this !

Steve
Attachments
Panel3.JPG
Panel3.JPG (97.47 KiB) Viewed 2851 times
Panel2.JPG
Panel2.JPG (119.22 KiB) Viewed 2851 times
Panel1.JPG
Panel1.JPG (120.49 KiB) Viewed 2851 times
Joist5.JPG
Joist5.JPG (90.66 KiB) Viewed 2851 times
Joist4.JPG
Joist4.JPG (114.73 KiB) Viewed 2851 times