Nail in tyre

Vehicle maintenance and repair questions in here please for all questions relating to Cars, Vans etc.

Moderator: Moderators

dewaltdisney

Re: Nail in tyre

Post by dewaltdisney »

Just to add, in the old days it was common to put an inner tube in a tubeless tyre in these sort of instances. I don't know if that is permitted these days???

DWD
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

dewaltdisney wrote:Just to add, in the old days it was common to put an inner tube in a tubeless tyre in these sort of instances. I don't know if that is permitted these days???

DWD
It's one of the many reasons I'm sceptical about some modern day practises. I think a vast majority of the new rules are about finance rather than safety.
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

They say that fitting a tube can cause overheating, or the tube can wear through if there are ribs inside the tyre. I've fitted tubes inside tyres myself, but a long while back. I think the last car I had like that was a Mk 1 Cortina. No problem with that but :dunno: . Tyre technology has moved on.
The plug things all but disappeared in this country at one time. I worked in a car accessory shop as a Saturday job in 70-71. We had the Dunlop kits in a round yellow tin. I noticed one day they weren't there and asked about them. I was told they weren't legal any longer. Not strictly true, but you never saw them anywhere afterwards.
I'd agree that a lot of rules for all sorts of things come into place from some sort of vested interest rather than common sense. It's funny that.
No way of telling with tyres though. I'll still go on the side of caution myself.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Actually Dave, now I think about it, was it not something to do with no tubes in radial tyres? I think it was okay on cross ply but no one has them now.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Dave54
Rating: 7.14%
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

dewaltdisney wrote:Actually Dave, now I think about it, was it not something to do with no tubes in radial tyres? I think it was okay on cross ply but no one has them now.

DWD
I was thinking as I typed that about whether they were radials or cross plies I had, and that there was something about radials. I had some "Town and Country" tyres with little wear given me. Cross plies. They were the ones I used tubes with IIRC, because I couldn't get them to seal. I remember struggling to fit them!
Probably why I was given them!
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

I think it 'depends' and who you're dealing with, and what the vehicle is likely to be used for.

I recently bought a s/h tyre off fleabay, & to my surprise my local independent tyre shop refused point blank to fit it for me. Saying, due to their insurance they would only fit what they supplied, however they told me where to find a scruffy bloke in a back street that had the machinery to do it, and he did, for a fiver.

Now, I can fully understand if we're talking about a moderately quick car more than capable of motorway speeds (in a part of the country with fast roads), but in my case we have a knackered 20yo 4WD in a remote part of Wales, almost agricultural.

From past experience in the motor trade, one issue was that the foot of the vulcanisation machine couldn't sit inside the shoulder. But that was a long time ago.......
mikew1972

Post by mikew1972 »

Bought a similar kit from CPC about 10 years ago.
Used it to fix loads of punctures in ride on mower tyres, road trailer tyres and car tyres. Always worked well, never had a problem.
The pamphlet in the box said they were accepted as a permanent repair in a great long list of countries including the likes of North and South America but only accepted as a temporary repair in a short list of countries including UK...
Looks like CPC are currently only selling replacement seals to use with an existing kit.
http://cpc.farnell.com/tyre-seals/pu-11 ... dp/CP04629
Mike
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

I'd never buy tyres from E-bay :shock:
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Timllfixit

Post by Timllfixit »

"Just to add, in the old days it was common to put an inner tube in a tubeless tyre in these sort of instances. I don't know if that is permitted these days"

I asked about that of a tyre fitter a few years ago, and apparently tubeless tyres tend not to go flat straight away if punctured, whereas those with a tube do so much more quickly. I had a number of tubed tyres, and the fitters always checked for stray wires inside the tyre before fitting(when they WERE allowed.). I never had any dramas with them.

Presumably there is an exception for vintage vehicles with spoked wheels etc.
When all you have is a hammer, every problem is a nail.

Return to “Vehicle maintenance & Repair”