Nail in tyre

Vehicle maintenance and repair questions in here please for all questions relating to Cars, Vans etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Argyll

Nail in tyre

Post by Argyll »

I have a nail in my tyre. It's really close to the edge so I doubted it could be repaired but I took it to my local tyre shop and was informed the same. He told me as it's so close to the edge when I go round a corner it will pop the patch.

It got me wondering if this is really the case or it's just another con to buy a new tyre.

A few years ago I bought a couple of used tyres from ebay. I noticed both of them had patches on the edge of the tyre but they both lasted a couple of years. I wondered whether some poor bugger had been forced to buy new tyres and they kept his damaged ones, repaired them and sold them to me on ebay.

So is it true that punctures too near the edge cannot be repaired or is it a con?
Attachments
Nail in tyre.jpg
Nail in tyre.jpg (136.23 KiB) Viewed 5822 times
Dave54

Re: Nail in tyre

Post by Dave54 »

I don't really know mate, but that's getting close to the sidewall where all the flex is. There is a British Standard for repairs I've seen somewhere.
You don't want a failure going round a motorway bend. . .
FWIW, being an old biker I don't really like repaired tyres at all.
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

IIRC there is a defined limit to where repairs can be made across the width of a tire.... feel like I saw a drawing showing it somewhere :dunno:

Found it: https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-repair

basically the central 3/4 part of the tread or it's outside the BS (standard) limits....
Don't take it personally......
fitzy
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Post by fitzy »

Mate of mine has a tyre place nearby, and I always take my car there for repairs and new tyres.

He would tell you exactly the same as he did me when I had a very slow puncture in the same place.

What price safety?

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

No tyre place will repair it. I'll tell what I've did but it's up to you whether you take any notice.
I've always fixed my own punctures with the temporary fix kit you can pick up from fleabay for about a tenner. You'll be able to fix several punctures and let's be serious,the nail on the edge is far less safe than fixing it isn't it?
It's a piece of pish to use,you just ream the hole out and pull through the thread and cut it off,job done and they've never failed on me,even close to the edge.
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

That is the way they always used to fix punctures. With steel belt tyres is there a real risk of blow out compared to a slow leak?

DWD
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

Supposed to be a "vulcanised" repair for a permanent fix. The plug things are supposed to be a "get you home" fix.
Not for me those plugs. Maybe I'm a of nervous disposition where tyres are concerned, but I don't want to find out the hard way whether the tyre will blow or not after being repaired that way .
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

Dave54 wrote:Supposed to be a "vulcanised" repair for a permanent fix. The plug things are supposed to be a "get you home" fix.
Not for me those plugs. Maybe I'm a of nervous disposition where tyres are concerned, but I don't want to find out the hard way whether the tyre will blow or not after being repaired that way .
I'm a tight arse so don't like forking out 30 quid on a puncture but wouldn't have mentioned the repair if I didn't trust them. I've ran them on vans with a decent load for years and my brother has used them whilst drifting his m3 at serious speed and load on a drift racing track.
aeromech3

Post by aeromech3 »

Where I lived abroad the vulcanised patch or plug was the norm, nail punctures were frequent due the many construction debri on the road, but labour was cheap £2/ a fix; if that did not suit they would put a tube. I too bought a plug kit for a repiar to a tyre that had done 30,000mls and was due for replacement with the set (now done); as with Stevie but I also used the rubber glue on the plug and that tyre became the spare; it never lost a pound, I kept the kit as it was that easy could be done on the roadside even without removing the wheel and on a 4x4 that is a plus. The car abroad was a Celica and never had or heard of a failure of the repairs; sidewalls also no no.
Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

Many years ago I used to work in a garage and we had a threaded metal tube which we screwed into the hole in the tyre then we could insert a repair plug which had a mushroom shaped end with rubber adhesive added? Long time ago so relying on memory.

An alternative was to fit a tube but I don't know if tubes are readily available any longer.

In this instance though sad as it is its better to be absolutely safe and get your hand in your pocket; even one of the budget brand tyres will be safe compared to a bodge repair which could let go at 70 mph?

For interest; http://www.safetyseal.eu/en/products/sa ... repair.php

Kind regards, Col.
SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

I've had my fair share of nails (and screws) in tyres, if they're not needing pumping up more than once a week or so I've often just left them in there.
One day it will all be firewood.
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

Like I said, maybe I'm of a nervous disposition where it comes to tyres. That's from a safety POV, not just the legality.
I'm the same with stuff like brakes and suspension.
They say tyre repairs are OK if done according to the British Standard. So I'd have that, or if the tyre was worn at all I'd have a new tyre. That's me though.
aeromech3

Post by aeromech3 »

Agreed with motorcycles, the danger is more in the initial puncture and a blow out. But cars etc:
You could go just down the road with your new tyre and get a puncture and then have to go straight back and replace it!

In my youth we had re-cut tyres, now that was a risk, no history, poor quality control and no knowing how much rubber was left.
Remoulds are as good as the company that does them, most commercial aircraft will have remoulds, even to R4 or more times.
Extreme: my gardener in Africa used to repair worn through patches on his bicycle tires by inserting a strip of inner tube, mostly dirt roads.
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

I'm sick though as the tyre is only about 2 months old. I think I'll take Stevie's advice and try and repair and then I'll use it as a spare if successful.

I appreciate everyone replying though.

Stevie is this the kind of thing you're on about?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-VAN-MOTOR ... SwuLZYzShO
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

Argyll wrote:I'm sick though as the tyre is only about 2 months old. I think I'll take Stevie's advice and try and repair and then I'll use it as a spare if successful.

I appreciate everyone replying though.

Stevie is this the kind of thing you're on about?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-VAN-MOTOR ... SwuLZYzShO
That's the one! Make sure the tyre is inflated when you do it. If you YouTube it you'll see how it's done,piece of pish.
These users thanked the author steviejoiner74 for the post:
Argyll
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Vehicle maintenance & Repair”