Moderator: Moderators

mattpaints
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Which foundation (and how much!)

Post by mattpaints »

Hi there,

We just got PP for a 6m x 4m x 4m (high) single pitch outbuilding which will be used as a garage and a workshop. The building is not subject to building control. The plot is immediately adjacent to a very mature Ash tree that is probably 10 metres high, as well as a mature apple tree. The trunks are both within 1.5 metres of the corner of our structure, and I'm worried about the effect that this might have on our foundations. I think we're on London clay.

Builder has said that a raft will do it, but I'm leaning towards piling (in the hope that my precious workshop won't end up leaning into the neighbours garden)

Could anyone give me some indication of how much piles might set me back? I'm guessing that 12ft or so would be sufficient? Not sure how many I'd need for those dimensions. Access is very easy.

Thanks very much
Matt
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Re: Which foundation (and how much!)

Post by big-all »

heeelllooo and welcome mattpaints :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
havent got a clue but suspect the piles may be far far more than the rest off the shed perhaps 60-90% off the actual cost on :dunno:
we are all ------------------still learning
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

mattpaints wrote:Could anyone give me some indication of how much piles might set me back? I'm guessing that 12ft or so would be sufficient? Not sure how many I'd need for those dimensions.
Would it not be better to ask for quotes from companies that will do the job? that way they can see the site / ask relevant questions and advise you accordingly. I understand you are only looking for a "ball park figure" but there are too many variables :cb and what if you were told it was £2k and it turns out to be £4k.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
mattpaints
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by mattpaints »

Thanks both.

@Big-All - budget is around £25k, but I suspect you might be right

@Someone-else - I've sent out to a couple of companies for quotes, but I thought I might be able to get a ball park here first.

I'd really like to do the piles, but I'm not sure we'll have the cash. Maybe we'll *have* to do them 5 years down the line :roll:
AAA.Handy.Man
BANNED

Post by AAA.Handy.Man »

I reckon you're far too wize to try to avoid any heave from tree roots by cutting lumps off them.
This is what happened to a close neighbour of mine after he allowed a contractor to level an area of his garden for decorative flagstone laying by doing just that, as can be seen in this pic
It was reportedly not a particularly windy day when this came about.
wood.11.jpg
wood.11.jpg (110.77 KiB) Viewed 1450 times

Return to “Building Forum”