Replacement Bay Windows

This is where you can post pictures of extremely poor workmanship, whether it is done by a dodgy tradesman or by an incompetent DIY'er. Instructions on how to post pictures can be found in here.

Moderator: Moderators

teams
Been thanked: 0

Re: Replacement Bay Windows

Post by teams »

Window 1 Window 2, window 3 window 4
Attachments
Window 1.JPG
Window 1.JPG (20.44 KiB) Viewed 7631 times
Window 4.JPG
Window 4.JPG (24.86 KiB) Viewed 7631 times
Window 3.JPG
Window 3.JPG (70.16 KiB) Viewed 7631 times
Window 2.JPG
Window 2.JPG (19.14 KiB) Viewed 7634 times
BillyGoat
Troll Headbutter

Post by BillyGoat »

Are those all new :shock:
These users thanked the author BillyGoat for the post:
teams
Rating: 7.14%
Arguing with a woman is like reading a Software Licence Agreement.
In the end, you ignore everything and click "I agree".
Thewindowguy

Post by Thewindowguy »

Shocking you need to be ringing everyday till they put it right , that silicone work is poor ,
And on the sill they haven't cleaned the welds
That's a j shaped bay window you have been confusing talking about small windows and large windows
When you mention sills are you talking about the brown boards inside? These are called window boards and can be replaced when fitting a bay window as originals nearly always need cutting back anyway,
Sill I'm talking about goes under the frame and projects over the front of the opening by a minimum of 25mm to allow for drainage.
When a bay window is fitted depending where you sit it will determine the gaps on inside and outside this is some times unavoidable in upvc timber is different as many sections can be machined to suit needs.
But like I said it's shocking and you should be ringing everyday till you get someone out
These users thanked the author Thewindowguy for the post:
teams
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

The work is horrendous. Like I've said before there is no point in pussy footing around,the manager should've immediately seen that **** of workmanship and apologised,put it right and knocked some money off your bill.
They would've done this before now so name and shame,preferably on social media. It's the only way they'll take notice as those photos are most certainly not good for buisness.
These users thanked the author steviejoiner74 for the post:
teams
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

There in breach of contract, it needs to be inspected asap, fensa, trading standards and if all else fails take it to the local press, document everything inc letters and phone calls (times, dates etc)

find another company to do a report on the work

If all else fails you can take them to the small claims court
These users thanked the author Bob225 for the post:
teams
DmitriKara

Post by DmitriKara »

now this is something you don't see every day! I would have lost my nerves big time!
These users thanked the author DmitriKara for the post:
teams
idkhow2diy

Post by idkhow2diy »

teams wrote: Billy there is a contract and we've sent them a Consumer Rights Act letter. They've sent back a 5 sentence letter, saying it's within there standards.
Standards don't come out of thin air - if it were me I'd ask for a copy of these standards to see where exactly it states they can do what they've done. I'd warrant there is no such document!
These users thanked the author idkhow2diy for the post:
teams
teams

Post by teams »

Yep they're new.
BillyGoat wrote:Are those all new :shock:
teams

Post by teams »

Guys sorry if I confused you guys with regards to description of large/small windows.

The installation manager has been out twice, he started explaining what was wrong with the installation, then had a change of heart, 'we'll just fill the cavities with silicone'. The reference to sills is the inside window boards. There isn't an objection to them being cut back or replaced.

The original installer is an 'authorized installer', he's been sent out once, he wasn't keen to install the replacement sills, also he wouldn't have enough time to make the cavities disappear. Something about vertical pole being moved forward, something needs cutting back (The installer and the installation manager both said this, but the installation manager didn't finish his sentence.

The objection is they've measured / manufactured the windows incorrectly, that's why in picture 'window 1', he was happy to install the replacement window with the huge gap and sills in place. We pointed out that the window has been measured / manufactured incorrectly, then the sills have been removed, one of the small window moved in and upvc strips added to the frame to get rid of the huge gap, that in turn has resulted in the poor finish, cavities, trim, etc nothing can be done to replace the old sills, which they took away.
Thewindowguy wrote:Shocking you need to be ringing everyday till they put it right , that silicone work is poor ,
And on the sill they haven't cleaned the welds
That's a j shaped bay window you have been confusing talking about small windows and large windows
When you mention sills are you talking about the brown boards inside? These are called window boards and can be replaced when fitting a bay window as originals nearly always need cutting back anyway,
Sill I'm talking about goes under the frame and projects over the front of the opening by a minimum of 25mm to allow for drainage.
When a bay window is fitted depending where you sit it will determine the gaps on inside and outside this is some times unavoidable in upvc timber is different as many sections can be machined to suit needs.
But like I said it's shocking and you should be ringing everyday till you get someone out
Last edited by teams on Mon May 23, 2016 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
teams

Post by teams »

They booked a date and time for the installation manager to call, on the day he didn't turn up, so I call them to find out why he hasn't turned up , his secretary said 'Oh he's at home, taking time off in lieu'!! They didn't bother letting us know.

flash22 wrote:There in breach of contract, it needs to be inspected asap, fensa, trading standards and if all else fails take it to the local press, document everything inc letters and phone calls (times, dates etc)

find another company to do a report on the work

If all else fails you can take them to the small claims court
Last edited by teams on Mon May 23, 2016 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
teams

Post by teams »

The Installation Manager sent a letter saying in his opinion everything is o.k., his boss only addressed the 'trim' in the 5 sentence letter.

idkhow2diy wrote:
teams wrote: Billy there is a contract and we've sent them a Consumer Rights Act letter. They've sent back a 5 sentence letter, saying it's within there standards.
Standards don't come out of thin air - if it were me I'd ask for a copy of these standards to see where exactly it states they can do what they've done. I'd warrant there is no such document!
idkhow2diy

Post by idkhow2diy »

Just out of interest and not to suggest any course of action - does your house insurance have legal cover? I've had to use ours twice in the past and it is extremely useful. If it does, give them a call for advice.
teams

Post by teams »

Have got legal cover, they've been briefed, they suggested writing another LBA letter, I'm holding fire on that for the time being.
idkhow2diy wrote:Just out of interest and not to suggest any course of action - does your house insurance have legal cover? I've had to use ours twice in the past and it is extremely useful. If it does, give them a call for advice.
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

I bet they charged a fortune as well......
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
teams

Post by teams »

Yes, they were sold to my elderly patents.
steviejoiner74 wrote:I bet they charged a fortune as well......

Return to “Rogues Gallery”