hard to believe . . .

This is where you can post pictures of extremely poor workmanship, whether it is done by a dodgy tradesman or by an incompetent DIY'er. Instructions on how to post pictures can be found in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Chris Skilbeck

hard to believe . . .

Post by Chris Skilbeck »

A new customer asked me to have a look at the damp patches on their bedroom chimney-breast, as they'd been getting worse for about five years - well, sure enough, they were pretty bad so I had a look outside at the chimney stack - it looked old and shabby, but nothing obviously wrong enough to cause the level of damp I'd seen so I came back with ladders and went up top to check the flaunching for cracks - and found this!
photo0365.jpg
photo0365.jpg (27.63 KiB) Viewed 11906 times
photo0364.jpg
photo0364.jpg (29.65 KiB) Viewed 11906 times
Apparently a gas flue was installed, just before these people bought the house - how can anyone walk away from a job and give the occupier a bill, leaving a gaping hole like this?
And, come to think of it, how can anyone live in a gradually damper bedroom for five years before wondering if there could be a problem to investigate?
I've done a quick temporary repair, and they want me to come back in the spring to overhaul the whole stack and put on a new flaunch.
photo0366.jpg
photo0366.jpg (24.23 KiB) Viewed 11906 times
Timllfixit

Re: hard to believe . . .

Post by Timllfixit »

:shock: :shock:
When all you have is a hammer, every problem is a nail.
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

That's the problem with many so called tradesmen, you only notice the faults after they've been paid and are long gone.
Chris Skilbeck

Post by Chris Skilbeck »

If I do work that a customer can't see - like on top of the chimney stack - I always take photos and show them, it sets their minds at rest, I hope, and probably increases the chances of another word-of-mouth referral.

When I showed the customer these photos, his jaw nearly hit the ground!
These users thanked the author Chris Skilbeck for the post (total 3):
ultimatehandymanKtuludaysJob and Knock
Rating: 21.43%
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Chris Skilbeck wrote:If I do work that a customer can't see - like on top of the chimney stack - I always take photos and show them, it sets their minds at rest, I hope, and probably increases the chances of another word-of-mouth referral.

When I showed the customer these photos, his jaw nearly hit the ground!

That's a good idea and so easy to do now with smartphones. We had some work done on our roof earlier this year and while I could see some of what was going on by standing at the end of the garden with the bino's, it was really helpful that the roofer took some pictures, helped explain the problem and then when he had done the job we were able to see exactly what had been done.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Rorschach wrote:................the roofer took some pictures, helped explain the problem and then when he had done the job we were able to see exactly what had been done.
Yes, photo shop is really good. :lol:
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

someone-else wrote:
Rorschach wrote:................the roofer took some pictures, helped explain the problem and then when he had done the job we were able to see exactly what had been done.
Yes, photo shop is really good. :lol:

If he could have photoshopped it on his iphone while up the scaffold then he would have been even more impressive :lol:
These users thanked the author Rorschach for the post:
Chris Skilbeck
Rating: 7.14%
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

Trading standards should have the power to lock up/terminate people that knowingly do bad work like this :wink:

I'm glad I saw this as it reminded me that I have to do some work on my chimney next year :thumbright:
Chris Skilbeck

Post by Chris Skilbeck »

ultimatehandyman wrote:Trading standards should have the power to lock up/terminate people that knowingly do bad work like this :wink:
No argument there! AND - I've had another conversation with these people since then, and they tell me they paid out for a Full Structural Survey before buying - that was money well spent then! (not). I've lost count of the number of times I've gone to do some quite serious remedial work that's not picked up by so-called surveyors - I hope they soon start using camera-drones to look at rooftops and chimney flaunchings, 'cos I know the poor dears wouldn't dream of going up a ladder! Trouble is, they'll put the fees up to match (and still not lift a carpet) - just what does the word 'full' mean in this context? Honestly, if you're going to buy a house, get the local builder to have a look too - you might find out something useful without paying a fortune.

Rant over - sorry, but rip-off 'professional' fees are a particular bugbear of mine.
These users thanked the author Chris Skilbeck for the post:
ultimatehandyman
Rating: 7.14%
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

My dad just bought a flat and in the home buyers survey it said something along the lines of

'couldn't inspect the pipework under the bath due to the bath panel'

It didn't have a bath panel!
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Argyll wrote:My dad just bought a flat and in the home buyers survey it said something along the lines of

Was that because it was a shower ?? :mrgreen:
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
fin

Post by fin »

see some propper rough work like...

we always take pics of stuff we do if say its on a roof. often also if its of like a bad job like that.
Chris Skilbeck

Post by Chris Skilbeck »

Argyll wrote:My dad just bought a flat and in the home buyers survey it said something along the lines of

And the surveyor's on a professional salary with paid holidays and sick pay and paternity leave, and gets to wear a suit and drive a nice car, for coming out with unhelpful, useless cra . . . . oops like that. :? :angryfire:
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

That job's as rough as a bear's posterior. I'd agree with ultimatehandyman. Lock 'em up if they're charging for work like that.
As far as surveyors go. . .
I'd rather have a good look myself, with a second opinion from a decent builder, to cancel out any rose tinted glasses effect I might suffer, any day.
giggles

Post by giggles »

holy sh1t! thats fecking shocking... these cowboys should be named and shamed

Return to “Rogues Gallery”