Questions about fitting kitchens in here please

Moderator: Moderators

Juno
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Integrated F/F cupboard alignment

Post by Juno »

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and a complete novice when it comes to home improvement.

Here's my current problem that I was hoping you could help me with:
I had a new integrated fridge/freezer delivered today - and managed to get the width/height and 70/30 split right, but the new FF has a smaller gap between the fridge and freezer than the old one, so the cupboards won't align.

The installation guys said I just need a handyman in to lower the elevated part under the freezer a bit, but now I'm starting to think I should have just asked them to take the FF back... Is this something that is done though? I'm also worried that once the elevated part has been removed, the fridge won't reach the top of the cupboard to be fastened there, will that be a problem?
steviejoiner74

Re: Integrated F/F cupboard alignment

Post by steviejoiner74 »

:welcomeuhm: could you post some photos please? This will help a lot with any solutions :thumbright:
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

If, " the elevated part under the freezer" is not the base of the cupboard it should be easy enough to lower it.

The F/F not reaching the top can be overcome by using a spare shelf (or an infill panel) at the appropriate height and fixing to that.
One day it will all be firewood.
Juno
Newly registered Member

Post by Juno »

Thanks guys! Here's the photo Image

Can those little foot things propping the F/F up be removed do you think? Cause that would go a long way in aligning the cupboards - I could then perhaps live with them being slightly off and just fasten the cupboards to them anyway. Would still need to get that infill panel you mentioned though! (Where does one get those?)
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

Do you have a photo of the f/f in relation to the unit doors in its entirety?
Juno
Newly registered Member

Post by Juno »

Sure!

Paintitblack
Newly registered Member

Post by Paintitblack »

Looks like the raised bottom shelf could be removed quite easily,probably there to raise the previous f/f,I would not remove the plastic feet from the f/f as it looks to be part of the door hinge assembly,if removing bottom shelf makes door too low,you could cut down vertical pieces to correct size & refit bottom shelf.
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

Don't remove the f/f feet. The bottom shelf should come out quite easily and it should be fine.
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

To take away any guesswork - close the lower door and then measure from the top of the lower door to the centre of the gap between the f/f doors - that's how much you need to lower the f/f . (Lowering it a couple of mm more than that would make allowance for a joint between the two carcass doors).

The infill panel below the shelf the f/f is standing on can be reduced by the dimension arrived at by the process above and the shelf refitted - the shelf may currently be fitted into pre-drilled holes which may not be in the correct position for the new placement - in this case I'd probably just use some batten the same size as the now reduced infill to pack up the shelf on it's remaining three edges.

Before you remove the f/f from the opening, measure how deep an infill you would need at the top (as it is now) and then add the dimension arrived at in part 1 for a new measurement for the top infill.
One day it will all be firewood.
Juno
Newly registered Member

Post by Juno »

Thank you guys, you've given me some hope! Now to find a handyman to do it...
Juno
Newly registered Member

Post by Juno »

Update: All fixed now! Got a handyman in - took him 2 hours to do it but my cupboards align with the F/F now! :huray:

Return to “Kitchen Fitting”