Mirka Deros review

You can post and read reviews of all Power tools in here. Tools will be listed by manufacturer, Model number and / or description.please ensure that you put the correct power tool under the correct manufacturer. If the manufacturer is not yet listed then please post in the general part of the power tool review forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Mirka Deros review

Post by ultimatehandyman »

Mirka Deros review

I have been using the Mirka Deros on several projects recently. I was only aware of this machine after reading posts by a few of the forum members who raved about this machine and also this review Mirka Ceros review

The Mirka Deros is the perfect sanding solution. It’s much quieter than other mains powered sanders, although the dust extraction does increase the noise in the area. I don’t have a dedicated dust extractor so I normally use the Wickes wet and dry vacuum. The abranet abrasives that attach to the machine seem to last much longer than traditional sanding backing papers, they also do not get clogged up with paint meaning that more dust is removed from the work area.

So far I have sanded down a steel van vault and a couple of painted plywood panels. In both instances the machine performed brilliantly and gave an excellent surface to paint onto. The machine is comfortable to hold, relatively quiet and easy to use. I must admit that I almost bought a traditional random orbit sander but I’m delighted that I chose this instead.

You can see the video review here-

These users thanked the author ultimatehandyman for the post (total 2):
big-allsteviejoiner74
Rating: 14.29%
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Re: Mirka Deros review

Post by big-all »

thanks for a comprehensive review as always
it is so quiet and dust free that i dont think it was actually sanding :lol:
of course the visual evidence tells us otherwise :lol:
These users thanked the author big-all for the post:
ultimatehandyman
Rating: 7.14%
we are all ------------------still learning
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Though I don't have one of their sanders I am big fan of their abrasives and use them almost exclusively, their abralon pads are a thing of wonder and significantly improved the quality of my work and cut the time down as well, have saved me a fortune over the years even though the pads themselves are a little pricey.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Oh and to improve extraction even more you might like to pair it with a dust deputy cyclone separator. I have been using cyclonic separators for a couple of years now on my big dust extractor and love them, I recently got a dust deputy for my shop vac and how I wish I had got one years ago, a massive improvement!
These users thanked the author Rorschach for the post (total 2):
ultimatehandymanDave54
Rating: 14.29%
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

Very impressive! The lack of noise is amazing. A small point, but I like the separate mains lead. Saves having the lead bent where it comes out of the machine when in the kitbox, and makes it easily changable if it gets damaged.
The Abranet is obviously well worth a look too.
These users thanked the author Dave54 for the post:
ultimatehandyman
Rating: 7.14%
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Rorschach wrote:Oh and to improve extraction even more you might like to pair it with a dust deputy cyclone separator. I have been using cyclonic separators for a couple of years now on my big dust extractor and love them, I recently got a dust deputy for my shop vac and how I wish I had got one years ago, a massive improvement!
Thanks, I'll check out the cyclone separator :thumbright:
gc1967

Post by gc1967 »

ultimatehandyman wrote:
Rorschach wrote:Oh and to improve extraction even more you might like to pair it with a dust deputy cyclone separator. I have been using cyclonic separators for a couple of years now on my big dust extractor and love them, I recently got a dust deputy for my shop vac and how I wish I had got one years ago, a massive improvement!
What is the cyclone separator ?
gc1967

Post by gc1967 »

gc1967 wrote:
ultimatehandyman wrote:
Sorry for post I presume you mean the mirka dust extractor unit
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Oneida Dust Deputy Pre-Filter Cyclone 001_01.jpg
Oneida Dust Deputy Pre-Filter Cyclone 001_01.jpg (27.46 KiB) Viewed 7550 times
The Oneida Dust Deputy is a pre-filter cyclone which is placed in the vacuum hose line between the tool and the vacuum cleaner itself. It works by spinning-out the vast majority of the dust in the airflow using a vortex or cyclone, dust dropping to the bottom of the body (and into a home-made drop box). The principle is the same as has been used on industrial extraction equipment for a century or more and is also used in the Dyson vacuum cleaner. The idea is that the majority of the dust is removed from the airflow before it hits the filter in the vacuum cleaner, thus prolonging filter and bag life in the vacuum. It also has the additional advantage of removing a large percentage of finer dust that the filter/bag in a domestic vacuum cleaner would simply allow to pass through. There are many Chinese-made knock-offs (although that is debatable as the principle is very old) now available on eBay, Amazon, etc which may or may not be as effective:
Pre-Filter Cyclone 001_01.jpg
Pre-Filter Cyclone 001_01.jpg (42.25 KiB) Viewed 7550 times
BTW, did you realise that you'd dragged-up a nearly 4 year old posting?
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

gc1967 wrote:
ultimatehandyman wrote:

They are superb-

gc1967

Post by gc1967 »

Job and Knock wrote:
Oneida Dust Deputy Pre-Filter Cyclone 001_01.jpg
The Oneida Dust Deputy is a pre-filter cyclone which is placed in the vacuum hose line between the tool and the vacuum cleaner itself. It works by spinning-out the vast majority of the dust in the airflow using a vortex or cyclone, dust dropping to the bottom of the body (and into a home-made drop box). The principle is the same as has been used on industrial extraction equipment for a century or more and is also used in the Dyson vacuum cleaner. The idea is that the majority of the dust is removed from the airflow before it hits the filter in the vacuum cleaner, thus prolonging filter and bag life in the vacuum. It also has the additional advantage of removing a large percentage of finer dust that the filter/bag in a domestic vacuum cleaner would simply allow to pass through. There are many Chinese-made knock-offs (although that is debatable as the principle is very old) now available on eBay, Amazon, etc which may or may not be as effective:
Pre-Filter Cyclone 001_01.jpg
BTW, did you realise that you'd dragged-up a nearly 4 year old posting?
Thank you very much for posting this a great read, sorry about posting, I am just looking to buy a Mirka sander and extractor unit and I saw the thread and posted.

Return to “Power Tool Reviews”