Oven tripping Rcd

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

mrscb
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Oven tripping Rcd

Post by mrscb »

I have a 2 month old electric fan oven . For the last couple of days it's been tripping the Rcd. Have narrowed it down to it being when the oven reaches whatever temperature I set it at.so it's fine when it's in the process of getting to temp but as soon as its hits temp it's off.
Wouldn't be too bad if it just knocked the oven off but it's down sockets and up lights too( disturbs my sky recordings!) it will reset straight when it's cooled a bit but off again when at temp.. It could be set at 100 degrees or 250.
Is it more likely to be oven..ie thermostat or element or electrical fault?
wine~o

Re: Oven tripping Rcd

Post by wine~o »

If it's the rcd tripping then I would suggest that the oven is faulty...

Assuming that the oven has been installed correctly..
These users thanked the author wine~o for the post:
mrscb
Rating: 7.14%
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
mrscb
Newly registered Member

Post by mrscb »

That's the answer I was hoping for IYKWIM
Thanks..
The oven is hard wired in..would it be worth taking it out (it's built in) and trying it with a plug .?
nick200

Post by nick200 »

Who hard wired it in? I would leave it but check if the RCD is ok for the cooker.

If RCD is ok, then it is only two months Old and I would speak to manufacturer/seller of the cooker.

Just remembered that ours did this but it was sorted by them replacing the cooker RCD as it was faulty. It is a long shot.
These users thanked the author nick200 for the post:
mrscb
Nick

If someone helps then thank the helper and also check out UHM's Nominated charity - http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/
mrscb
Newly registered Member

Post by mrscb »

We used the guy that installed the kitchen a few years ago.would have done it myself but couldn't hold oven I right position and connect it at same time..
We had a new circuit board installed last year .. How can I check the RCD or is it a get a man in kind of job? Will double check all wires are ok tomorrow .
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

mrscb wrote:That's the answer I was hoping for IYKWIM
Thanks..
The oven is hard wired in..would it be worth taking it out (it's built in) and trying it with a plug .?
You can eliminate the element (a faulty element would trip the RCD as soon as heat is called for)

You can eliminate the fixed wiring (the RCD would trip as soon as heat was called for)
These users thanked the author OnlyMe for the post:
mrscb
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

OnlyMe wrote:
mrscb wrote:That's the answer I was hoping for IYKWIM
Thanks..
You can eliminate the element (a faulty element would trip the RCD as soon as heat is called for)

You can eliminate the fixed wiring (the RCD would trip as soon as heat was called for)
As it trips when up to temperature, most likely would be an issue with the thermostat........
These users thanked the author wine~o for the post:
mrscb
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

mrscb
Newly registered Member

Post by mrscb »

Contacted oven company , they are sending out engineer on Monday. Slow cooker meals and takeaways for the next few days:-(
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

mrscb wrote:Contacted oven company , they are sending out engineer on Monday. Slow cooker meals and takeaways for the next few days:-(

What No hob?? or is it a combined oven and Hob.. ??

I'm doing duck breasts with a Port and red wine reduction, Lyonnaise potatoes, carrots and green beans...

Just thought I'd share....
Verwood Handyman

Return to “Electric Forum UK”