Cuprinol ultra tough decking stain review

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Cuprinol ultra tough decking stain review

Post by ultimatehandyman »

Cuprinol ultra tough decking stain was used to stain a deck that I built last summer. The deck was coated with three coats of the “Cuprinol ultra tough decking stain” in June of last year. I had noticed some discoloration to the deck but could not clearly see what it was from the house, I assumed it was some kind of organic growth from being underneath a tree. Today I went down to the deck and was shocked to see that the Cuprinol ultra tough decking stain had peeled away from the deck in several areas.

Obviously I am not very impressed about this as the stain is marketed as “ultra tough decking stain”, yet after just 8 months the stain has started to lift and peel away.
deck3.jpg
deck3.jpg (298.52 KiB) Viewed 14798 times
deck2.jpg
deck2.jpg (228.96 KiB) Viewed 14798 times
deck1.jpg
deck1.jpg (360.01 KiB) Viewed 14798 times
I stained the deck myself with the help of a friend and the stain was applied as per the instructions, we even used a drill mixer to mix the stain, it was also stirred during use and also had three coats. When applying the stain both myself and my mate were concerned about the stuff as it was more like a water based paint than a stain. I would always expect a “stain” to stain the timber by soaking into it, not for it to sit on the surface of the timber as you would expect a water based paint to do!

So this “Cuprinol ultra tough decking stain”, which me and my mate thought looked like coloured emulsion paint appears to be just that. I could have used emulsion paint and it would probably have lasted longer than the “Cuprinol ultra tough decking stain”. I have used several Cuprinol products in the past and never had any problems. Here is a picture of a fence panel that I painted with Cuprinol’s Ducks back two years ago-
ducks-back.jpg
ducks-back.jpg (192.69 KiB) Viewed 14798 times
It still looks as good as the day it was painted. I can’t believe that Cuprinol would sell something as “Ultra though” when some of it has been removed by a few months of “mild winter weather”. What is even more annoying is that I actually have two more tins of the stuff in the garage as I bought it when it was on special offer.

I really can’t believe a company would make such poor quality stain. Once I found the stain on the deck was peeling off I decided to do a Google search for reviews but none really showed up until I Googled for “Cuprinol ultra tough decking stain rubbish”, then a few reviews showed up on Amazon where people had the same experience as me. Hopefully people will see this post and not waste their money on such a useless product.
cuprinol-review.jpg
cuprinol-review.jpg (256.07 KiB) Viewed 14798 times
These users thanked the author ultimatehandyman for the post (total 3):
Pumadazcodynamod
Rating: 21.43%
dazco

Re: Cuprinol ultra tough decking stain review

Post by dazco »

Thanks for the heads up, I have also had good experience with the ducks back shame they have taken a big step backwards with this new one!
These users thanked the author dazco for the post:
ultimatehandyman
Rating: 7.14%
dynamod
Elephant Man

Post by dynamod »

Ducks back was good gear. Cuprinol must be getting their R&D done by the Dulux 'New & Improved' team. :mrgreen:
Nihil expectore in omnibus
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

That is terrible, when I put decking in my own home back in 1995 (ish) I just used B&Q own brand shed and fence stain/protector.

After 3 years it was looking better than that :shock:
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Joeprodecor

Post by Joeprodecor »

Big difference between the ducks back paint is that it used for fencing which is rough sawn and highly absorbent, the decking is smooth planed and less absorbent, so what ever goes on it, stain, varnish, paint... Should be a very thin, runny consistency to enable it to absorb into smooth decking surely?
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Joeprodecor wrote:Big difference between the ducks back paint is that it used for fencing which is rough sawn and highly absorbent, the decking is smooth planed and less absorbent, so what ever goes on it, stain, varnish, paint... Should be a very thin, runny consistency to enable it to absorb into smooth decking surely?
I painted a gate that I made from planed redwood a few years back with ducks back and that stood the test of time and is still fine. I'm not entirely sure what the technical chemical difference is between paint and stain but the Cuprinol decking stain was just like emulsion paint, not what you would expect from a "stain".
Joeprodecor

Post by Joeprodecor »

I've never used this product but stain is generally supposed to absorb into the substrate, wood in this case and it's clearly not.... A big mistake by cuprinol :O
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Joeprodecor wrote:I've never used this product but stain is generally supposed to absorb into the substrate, wood in this case and it's clearly not.... A big mistake by cuprinol :O
That's what I thought. The mate I was working with used to work for crown paints in Darwen and had never seen anything like it. I have been waiting for another mate to fit wrought iron railings around it but now I need to do a lot of remedial work first, which is very annoying. Just imagine if a professional tradesman had painted the deck and issued a guarantee. They could be well out of pocket and really damage their reputation !
moderator6
UHM Super Moderator

Post by moderator6 »

ultimatehandyman wrote: Just imagine if a professional tradesman had painted the deck and issued a guarantee. They could be well out of pocket and really damage their reputation !

Lucky it was you then :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

moderator6 wrote:
ultimatehandyman wrote: Just imagine if a professional tradesman had painted the deck and issued a guarantee. They could be well out of pocket and really damage their reputation !

Lucky it was you then :lol: :lol: :lol:
[emoji12]
Have Brush Will Travel

Post by Have Brush Will Travel »

I used the Ronseal acrylic one a few years ago...absolute sh*t...it was peeling after three weeks even though Id pressure washed it all down and allowed it to dry properly..

I complained to Ronseal...got the normally ol crap, until I told them I was a deckie, the guy said it was the British climate,...its just good with the constant rain...my next question, so why do you make it?...In all fairness to them they sent me 6 gallons of decking wash, and two gallons of replacement stuff, the same stuff that id put down!.. :sad: ..so that went straight in a boot sale :thumbright:

Then I pressure washed it and ripped the lot up with ease and gave it two coats of cuprinol penetrating oil/stain, its the only way..the trouble is you have to do it a couple of times a year

This year im ripping it all up and putting stones down,,,Ive had enough of constantly doing it, and slipping arse over b*llocks in the winter!! :angryfire:
I intend to live forever......So far, so good
dynamod
Elephant Man

Post by dynamod »

:lol: :lol:

And safety footwear isn't non-slip as it says on the box. The decking out the back of my place is lethal when wet, regardless of what's on your feet.

UHM - on a related note, this turn of the thread has got me wondering if perhaps salt or grit may have been put down on that decking during the slippy months. It would explain the 'corrosion' possibly.
Nihil expectore in omnibus
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

dynamod wrote::lol: :lol:

And safety footwear isn't non-slip as it says on the box. The decking out the back of my place is lethal when wet, regardless of what's on your feet.

UHM - on a related note, this turn of the thread has got me wondering if perhaps salt or grit may have been put down on that decking during the slippy months. It would explain the 'corrosion' possibly.
No, it's not been used at all.

It was built and painted last summer, it's not been used as I'm waiting for my mate to come and install wrought iron style railings to match the ones we have up at the house (he's mowed out with work).

The deck has hardly been walked on at all and because it's free standing and nowhere near the house it has not been touched since it was completed.

We took great care ensuring it was clean before we stained it by vacuuming up any dust etc.

It did look well after the three coats of the decking stain but it looks about 10 years old now!
p4ult

Post by p4ult »

Ok, so what do you guys recommend? I'm building a play/raised tree house for my son when it gets warmer. Need to treat it with something
Puma

Post by Puma »

I suggest no treatment.

Pressure treated wood should be good for several years without anything, and anything you apply will fail and cause a lot of work eventually.

I am trialling this 'life time wood treatment' at the moment and it seems pretty good http://www.lifetimewoodtreatment.co.uk I just have natural cheapo pine holding up damp earth and it has lasted over a year so far.
These users thanked the author Puma for the post (total 2):
Joeprodecortransitboy
Rating: 14.29%

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”