Strange driving behaviour?

Vehicle maintenance and repair questions in here please for all questions relating to Cars, Vans etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Retired

Strange driving behaviour?

Post by Retired »

Hi,

Out of interest can anyone explain why a car stops about three car lengths from the one in front at red traffic lights then the driver rides the clutch eventually closing the gap but leaving a three car long gap between my car and his?

Kind regards, Col.
dewaltdisney

Re: Strange driving behaviour?

Post by dewaltdisney »

It might be an automatic and the driver is allowing creep in a private game of not quite stopping before the lights go green? I would overtake :lol:

DWD
DIY_Johnny
Mr. Grumpy

Post by DIY_Johnny »

Retired wrote:Hi,

Out of interest can anyone explain why a car stops about three car lengths from the one in front at red traffic lights then the driver rides the clutch eventually closing the gap but leaving a three car long gap between my car and his?

Kind regards, Col.
In my mothers case, 3 truck and trailer lengths. :lol:

Or when first at a red light, hand brake on, out of gear. Waits for lights to turn green before getting into gear, handbrake off and 3 mins before pulling away. Cars behind looking at the lights turning red again
Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

Thanks DWD; perhaps automatic would be much better then the car could "drive by wire"? Strange how this only ever happens whenever I can't overtake. Bron and I followed an old guy for miles the other day through a village and into open countryside the road having double white lines all at 22mph even in the 50mph sections; if we had overtaken then of course directly behind us in front of a long queue would be an unmarked police car?

Thanks DIY_Johnny for introducing me to your mother; please giver her my regards and say it's the red and black Fabia Monte Carlo she keeps seeing in her rear view mirror?

I daren't say too much because I'm 67 years old so might be joining this kind of driver in twenty years or so? Many years ago I once pulled on to the hard shoulder of the M1 with a steaming Vauxhall Wyvern loaded with friends; no sooner had the car stopped that a police car pulled in behind; I'll forever remember the policeman's words " 70mph is the limit not the target".

Don't you just love the signs which say such things as "bend" or "no road markings"?

Just a take on life for a bit of fun.

Kind regards, Col.
village idiot
diesel demon

Post by village idiot »

when I took my minibus test they mentioned what they teach now is Tar & Tyres, basically if you can just see the bottom of the tyres you have an "out" in case of emergency
i love being married
it's great to find that one special person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life

I have a soft spot for the wife, it's a peat bog just outside Ardross

Still Yes Highland
Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

Thanks village idiot. I too have heard the term tar & tyres. At 70mph on the M62 signs inform us that we must keep two chevrons between us and the vehicle in front which of course is for ours and others safety but two chevrons whilst stationary in traffic is something else; with so much tar in view binoculars are needed to see the vehicles tyres in front? I usually look under such cars to see if there are a pair of legs and feet thinking Fred and Wilma must be out for a spin?

Kind regards, Col.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I learned once of the best way to establish the correct gap between cars is using the two second rule. Using this method you spot a fixed point on the roadside that the car in front is passing and say in your head 'Only a fool breaks the two second rule'. if you pass the fixed point at the same time as ending saying the phrase your spacing will be right. This seems to work for all speeds but not obviously in stationary traffic situation.

DWD
Hitch

Post by Hitch »

dewaltdisney wrote:I learned once of the best way to establish the correct gap between cars is using the two second rule. Using this method you spot a fixed point on the roadside that the car in front is passing and say in your head 'Only a fool breaks the two second rule'. if you pass the fixed point at the same time as ending saying the phrase your spacing will be right. This seems to work for all speeds but not obviously in stationary traffic situation.

DWD
Thats the one they taught me when learning to drive, and also refreshed on my naughty drivers course a few months ago. :oops: :wink:
[size=100][color=green][b]Why isn't the number 11 pronounced onety one? [/b][/color][/size]
DIY_Johnny
Mr. Grumpy

Post by DIY_Johnny »

When you ride a motorbike all the more reason to have a long gay. They never slow down as quick as cars (as I found out when I walloped into the back of one :shock: )
Wes
Wood Flooring Installer

Post by Wes »

When you ride a motorbike all the more reason to have a long gay.
Yea, I've heard that about some bikers :lol: :lol: :lol:
Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

Tailgating at speed on a bike is just asking for a short life span. Anyone tailgating should be banned because it is reckless driving. I've ridden many big bikes and driven lots of fast cars but always erred on the side of safety knowing how to apply brakes; I'm sure many don't know where the brakes are these days? Being a coffin bearer for a biker chum many years ago is something I'll never forget (Barry Duxbury; Dewsbury) nor the other four biker chums who were also killed on the roads. High speed can kill but too slow a speed can cause road rage; I wonder how many drivers crawling around at snails pace have been the cause of accidents? In a few years it's possible vehicles will be speed controlled using sat nav technology preventing such equipped vehicles from speeding? Bron and I owned two 2CV's when we first married and to be caught speeding in one of these earned a certificate and a prize not a fine?

Kind regards, Col.
DIY_Johnny
Mr. Grumpy

Post by DIY_Johnny »

Wes wrote:
When you ride a motorbike all the more reason to have a long gay.
Yea, I've heard that about some bikers :lol: :lol: :lol:
Like Glenn Hughes from the Village people? :)
Attachments
Glen Hughes.jpg
Glen Hughes.jpg (105.06 KiB) Viewed 3049 times
fin

Post by fin »

they got those chevron things on the a19 almost at washington services so sorta chester le street area. i know im almost home when i see the chevrons
Wee Eck

Post by Wee Eck »

Retired wrote:Hi,

Kind regards, Col.
Actually stops, then crawls forward?
I could understand if they were slowing right down then crawling to try and maintain some momentum for when the lights turn green - stopping and moving off again is really bad for fuel consumption.
Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

Thanks for asking Wee Eck. Yes actually stopping; wait a short while then ride the clutch to close the huge gap they have just created; it's so frustrating to get behind one of these? Slowing down but still moving up to the car in front at red lights I understand. I wonder how much road rage is generated by such driving habits; many times I would like to overtake just to close the gap; in heavy traffic it is even more worse; imagine every driver doing this?

Kind regards, Col.

Return to “Vehicle maintenance & Repair”