UK alternative to QUIKRETE?

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

jmsfld
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

UK alternative to QUIKRETE?

Post by jmsfld »

Hi all,

I have some projects in mind ("craft" projects, not building projects) for which Quikrete would be ideal. However I see Quikrete isn't available in the UK. Can anybody recommend a good quality, reasonably fine ready-mixed concrete available in the UK?

thanks!

James
ayjay

Re: UK alternative to QUIKRETE?

Post by ayjay »

Ready mixed concrete will be delivered by the cubic yard, that sounds like an awful lot for a, "Craft project - not a building project".

You can buy *Prompt Cement* which can be mixed with sand or aggregate to achieve a quick set.

*Ciment Fondu* is a similar product often used for Craft projects.

http://www.cornishlime.co.uk/promptcement.php

http://www.bathpotters.co.uk/ciment-fondue/p524
These users thanked the author ayjay for the post:
jmsfld
Rating: 7.14%
One day it will all be firewood.
jmsfld
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by jmsfld »

Hi ayjay --- I might have used the wrong terminology --- is "ready mixed" the sort that comes in a truck? I meant the dry mix that comes in a bag. The options you propose look like they're worth investigating, thanks for the advice. Aesthetically, what is the difference between concrete and cement? Will the cement you recommend set to look pretty much like concrete? (I know the final look of concrete will also depend on what binding materials you add, but still.) We like the aesthetic of concrete, and I'm a bit wooly on the differences of the finished product....

J
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Concrete is the term usually used for a mix of cement sand and aggregate (stones).

"Ready-mix" is what we usually call concrete delivered by a mixer lorry - (in fairly large quantities).

Cement is the powder which is added to sand or aggregates to make them go hard, it's very rarely used on its own, the sand and aggregate can be used in various proportions depending on what you want it to do - usual mixes will be somewhere between 1 - 3 (cement to sand - very strong) and 1- 6.

You can replace some or all of the cement with *prompt cement* or *ciment fondu* to achieve a quicker set.

You can buy a product called *Postcrete* which is a dry concrete mix in bags, it's intended for fixing fence posts but could be used for other projects - it's quicker drying than a standard concrete mix.
One day it will all be firewood.
FFX

Post by FFX »

Hi,

Everbuild do a product called Jetcem (some might call it JetMix) - which is a premixed bag of cement and sand which sets in about 30 min. It comes in different size bags between 2-6kg.

Regards
FFX
Icm76

Post by Icm76 »

something from Cementone or U-Can?

Toolstation and Screwfix have the Cementone rapid setting cement, B&Q have most of the U-Can range

Return to “General DIY forum”