Wera Kraftform Kompakt 20 Screwdriver

Reviews of hand tools in this forum please.

Moderator: Moderators

Liam2349

Wera Kraftform Kompakt 20 Screwdriver

Post by Liam2349 »

This is my review of the Wera Kraftform Kompakt 20 Screwdriver.

It is a nice looking screwdriver with the nice Wera Kraftform handle, and works as a short and full size screwdriver. It also comes with a nice pouch, with belt loop, for safe keeping. Another feature worthy of noting is the rapidaptor on the shaft, a very nice bit holder - rapidaptors stop the bit from falling out of the bit holder, or getting stuck in screws, and they do an amazing job of it.

The shaft of the screwdriver extends and can also be removed, to use as a bit holder for a drill. It can be extended by pushing down once on the green collar at the base of the shaft. It is spring loaded, so it pops right out. You can then hold the collar down, and pull it out the rest of the way to use with a drill. To put it back in, hold down the collar, and push it in. Simple. The adjustable length (to 2 positions) is a great feature for a screwdriver, and it's been very handy.

It comes with 6 bits stored inside the handle, which is also spring loaded and pops open when you push a green button on the base of the screwdriver. Inside, you should find PH1, PH2, PZ1, PZ2, SL1.0x5.5 and SL1.2x6.5.

So it's all good, or it was for about 6, 7 months, or around that. Remember what I said about the shaft? It's spring loaded... Well, one day, I was just minding my business with my screwdriver, when I pushed down on the collar and the entire insides - ball bearing, springs and the lot - flew across the room. It wasn't fixable. As it was a Wera product, I was sure it was just a one-off. I took it back to Screwfix, where I had paid £32 for it, and asked for a replacement. After about 10 minutes I got one, and was happy to have my favorite screwdriver back.

A month or two on, or perhaps a bit less - guess what? Yeah, the insides shot out again. I've decided that Wera have made a terrible screwdriver here - It's not the usual Wera quality, and certainly not worth £32, or the £30 it now costs on Amazon. Two of them have broken inside a year, due to the same manufacturing fault.

It's going to be tough to find a replacement that performs, or at least claims to perform, this number of functions in such a compact piece of kit.

I do not recommend purchasing this!

Aftermath:
These users thanked the author Liam2349 for the post (total 2):
ultimatehandymanStealthwolf (Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:08 am)
Rating: 14.29%
wine~o

Re: Wera Kraftform Kompakt 20 Screwdriver

Post by wine~o »

:thumbleft:

Thankyou for that comprehensive review.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Liam2349 wrote: It is spring loaded, so it pops right out.

I read that bit and started to have my doubts...............

Well, one day, I was just minding my business with my screwdriver, when I pushed down on the collar and the entire insides - ball bearing, springs and the lot - flew across the room. It wasn't fixable.

...............and so I wasn't surprised to read that. :mrgreen:

It's probably OK as an occasional DIY tool, but anything like that is unlikely to stand up to daily use.

.......and it should be condemned just for having a stupidly spelt name! :angryfire:
One day it will all be firewood.
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

:roll: :roll: Wera is a perfectly good name.....
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

royaloakcarpentry

Post by royaloakcarpentry »

I have Wera stuff and have had it for years...................

Big difference with mine is that it didn't come from poofix!!

Don't trust them ckufers, one bit.
Liam2349

Post by Liam2349 »

wine~o wrote::thumbleft:

Thankyou for that comprehensive review.
Glad you like it.

And royaloak, I have plenty of Wera stuff that I do like - aside from the impaktor holder. I really wish it was a rapidaptor... I'll write reviews on some of my other Wera kit soon, and some other tools I am particularly fond of.

I've actually settled on the Bahco ratcheting screwdriver as my replacement, the one Chez reviewed. It looks like a quality screwdriver, I just wish there was an alternative that was more compact - perhaps one day.

Wera also do a ratcheting screwdriver, similar in design to the Kraftform Kompakt 20, only the shaft is fixed to full length, non-removable, and for some reason has a standard magnetic bit holder instead of a rapidaptor - what? There was no light either, and the light on the Bahco is bound to come in handy.
Liam2349

Post by Liam2349 »

Can't seem to spot an edit button for my last post, which is weird because I'm sure I've seen one before! Anyway, I just wanted to add to my review.

If you go on Amazon, you will see that this product has only positive reviews. It's possible that Screwfix got a bad batch of this product, and gave me two screwdrivers from this bad batch - reasonable guess as I don't think they sell loads of £30 screwdrivers.

However, I did use this all the time. It was my go-to manual screwdriver, so it's possible that all the springs just aren't up to long-term use.

So either Amazon didn't get any bad batches of these screwdrivers, or the people reviewing them don't use the screwdriver often enough for this to happen.

Either way, I'm tempted to buy another from Amazon just to see - because returning things to Amazon is so simple, plus I have Prime... decisions :dunno:
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Edit is only available for about 20 minutes IIRC, something to do with stopping spam/links being added later...... :thumbleft:
Verwood Handyman

Liam2349

Post by Liam2349 »

wine~o wrote:Edit is only available for about 20 minutes IIRC, something to do with stopping spam/links being added later...... :thumbleft:
Ah I see, good to know :-)
royaloakcarpentry

Post by royaloakcarpentry »

probably Screwfix bang them right down on price and so they do production runs of slightly inferior quality product especially to meet the low costs screwfix want it at.

Even the little biros in screwfix don't work properly!
transitboy

Post by transitboy »

I got the same one had it for a good five years and had no problems :huray: .I did buy it at a tool show :dunno:
Liam2349

Post by Liam2349 »

transitboy wrote:I got the same one had it for a good five years and had no problems :huray: .I did buy it at a tool show :dunno:
Since I used it so often, I couldn't resist ordering another from Amazon. I'll see what happens with this third one.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

royaloakcarpentry wrote:probably Screwfix bang them right down on price and so they do production runs of slightly inferior quality product especially to meet the low costs screwfix want it at.
I can attest to that having several times bought tools (Bosch) which have been missing one or two features which would otherwise be fitted had I bought elsewhere (e.g. the GSB21-2RE which didn't have a "dial-in" speed selector trigger button - a mionor annoyance for many but rather important to me). Deffo a firm where caveat emptor applies!
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Fancy_Dan
Newly registered Member

Post by Fancy_Dan »

Liam2349 wrote: I really just wish there was an alternative that was more compact - perhaps one day.
Resurrected to recommend PB Swiss :thumbright: PB Swiss' Insider range includes a ratcheting screwdriver. Although I couldn't afford this particular ratcheting screwdriver, all my PB Swiss stuff has been better than Wera/Bahco. Made-in-Switzerland isn't cheap, but there's no doubting the quality's exceptional.

Also, PB Swiss bits are the best I've tried :thumbright:
Liam2349

Post by Liam2349 »

Just want to say that my third one of these screwdrivers, which I ordered from Amazon rather than Screwfix, is still working 5 years on.

Return to “Hand tool reviews”