Energy saving questions in here please

Moderator: Moderators

BURSELF

White Light?

Post by BURSELF »

hi all

does anyone know
what kind of bulbs to buy .
i wanna effect of really nice warm white light.
its gonna be very dark soon and i would like to have nice anty - depresant area at home :)

please can you advice me something?
i live in Bournemouth.

thanks
best regards all
Wes
Wood Flooring Installer

Re: White Light?

Post by Wes »

I was in a customers house last year and they had a huge bulb that gave of some serious light...It was a philips and cost around £15..I know because I smashed it and had to buy a new one, £15 for a bulb in a domestic house!!! I was gutted :lol: Anyway, I bought it from B & Poo but sorry I don't know anything else about it..

I don't even know if it was white light and I didn't feel like I was dripping in vitamin D when I left...In fact I felt flipping miserable after having my wallet emptied!!! :-)
stevewestern

Post by stevewestern »

OK, a none too technical reply....
Warm light is like the sort of light a traditional light bulb gives off.
A bright one will be over 100w, maybe 200w or even more.
Lower colour temperatures give a cooler/colder light that some prefer in kitchens.
It sounds like you want something bright rather than colder/more analytical, as a way to fend off SAD.

Do you have a decent lighting shop nearby that could advice and maybe show you the differences ?
I have one of those light/alarms that slowly switches on, getting brighter over 20/30 minutes which is a wonderful way to wake up but think it was £50 or so - that said it helped me greatly last winter. I also use a 300w halogen light when at the computer as it helps me feel alive.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

I would suggest you go to an electrical wholesalers or a light shop and see for yourself, what I may like you might not.

If its S.A.D. you are worried about why not have a look at the S.A.D. website
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
BURSELF

Post by BURSELF »

wow. nice . thanks
SAD website is clearly unique but
i need bulbs only. 2 bulb i need .

thanks guys for help
keep coming with ideas please :)

i will need i reckon something like that
but cheaper option if possible

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-9-5-48- ... 5E1LO68HMA

cheers chaps
Wes
Wood Flooring Installer

Post by Wes »

That's it!!!! That's the one I smashed!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
stevewestern

Post by stevewestern »

Take a look at the ledhut site -

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-bulbs/b22-led-bulbs.html

They seem from personal experience to give very good service, have knowledgeable staff on the phones and the prices are pretty good - it is worth looking for extra discounts online as I got 20% off when their site was only giving 10%. Delivery is via couriers who give a time slot which is important for me too.
jg

Post by jg »

I've got a couple of cool white LED lights from ebay, they are like the old corn cob type, but have SMDs all around instead. They are nice and bright.

Only a few quid from one of the many sellers shipping from China, takes a few weeks to turn up, but I was in no rush.
I am not a pro.
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

Stuff from China should be treated with caution. I'm not claiming that ALL Chinese stuff is dodgy (although the Gold Lion takeaway I had did serious @rse damage) but there are increasing examples of underspec devices being made into sellable goods - mobile phone chargers being high on the newsworthy list these days.

I purchase a LOT of electronic parts and have been tempted on various occasions to submit to the cheap chinese option only to find the parts are well off-spec (LEDs with low Vfwd, poor die siting, irregular current levels etc) and my friends in the electronics community report increasing examples of 'fakes' being touted.

This could well be a case of a minority spoiling it for the genuine traders in China but the end result is the same - people THINK the cheap option provides them with the solution they seek. Well it probably will - for a while.......

The only defence you have in this situation is with the retailer and UK purchased items gives you the benefit of legal redress - good luck getting that from a Chinese supplier! As ever - CAVEAT EMPTOR.
Don't take it personally......

Return to “Energy Saving”