Does an electric oven require an isolation switch?

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

gocsan
Newly registered Member

Does an electric oven require an isolation switch?

Post by gocsan »

I know this must have been asked many times before, but I cannot find a good answer. Despite reading around, I get mixed views. Does an electric cooker require an isolation switch?

For your information, I have a dedicated circuit from the consumer unit just for the electric cooker, but it has not isolation switch. The only switch available is the circuit breaker from the consumer unit located under my stairs, which in my opinion is fairly accessible and is approximately within 2m of the cooker.

I've recently had an electrician inspecting my electrics and have asked him this question, do I need one of those red isolation switches above the worktop for the electric cooker and he said not really because I can use the consumer unit as a mean of isolation.

So after reading around on the internet, who is right or wrong? My kitchen hasn't been fitted yet, but I would be gobsmacked if after fitting all the cupboards/worktop and then hiring an electrician to wire the cooker, he tells me that he refuses to wire it because I don't have an isolation switch. Last thing I want to do is rip my kitchen apart to get this isolation switch installed.
ericmark

Re: Does an electric oven require an isolation switch?

Post by ericmark »

I raised the same question when my mothers kitchen was installed. The house electrics were in a real state so the installer ran a SWA feed to a mini consumer unit in the kitchen. I said no need for isolator but the contractor insisted on fitting them. He felt for the cost of an isolator it was not worth taking the chance. In fact he fitted the isolators where with a hob fire you could not operate them had there not been a consumer unit in the kitchen I would have objected to the work. But the essence is if you want to be sure then fit isolators.
These users thanked the author ericmark for the post:
gocsan
Rating: 7.14%
BillyGoat
Troll Headbutter

Post by BillyGoat »

and I'm sure Onlyme will agree, it needs to be within 3 metres....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Arguing with a woman is like reading a Software Licence Agreement.
In the end, you ignore everything and click "I agree".
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

BillyGoat wrote:and I'm sure Onlyme will agree, it needs to be within 3 metres....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cooker isolators need to be within 2 metres :wink:

I'll take "cooker" to mean "hob"
BillyGoat
Troll Headbutter

Post by BillyGoat »

But the rules, THE RULES!!!!
Arguing with a woman is like reading a Software Licence Agreement.
In the end, you ignore everything and click "I agree".
gocsan
Newly registered Member

Post by gocsan »

Sorry guys, correction, I meant electric oven. I will have a built in gas hob.
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

BillyGoat wrote:But the rules, THE RULES!!!!

We have rules for a reason.

They give you something to bend or break.
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

gocsan wrote:Sorry guys, correction, I meant electric oven. I will have a built in gas hob.

And what does the installation manual for the oven say?

I've yet to see one that does not specify double pole isolation.
gocsan
Newly registered Member

Post by gocsan »

Hmm looking at the manual it says 'In the installation, there must be an all-pin isolating switch with at least 3mm contact gap, or the appliance must be connected using a plug with an earthing contact. This must remain accessible after installation'.
gocsan
Newly registered Member

Post by gocsan »

Just moving onto a slight different topic, I'm just reading my gas hob manual as well and it says 'The hobs are supplied with a power cable with or without a wall socket plug. Appliance with plugs must only be connected to sockets that have earth wires correctly installed. Provide an omnipolar cut-off switch with a minimum contact opening of 3mm (except for plug connections, if the user has access to it)'.

My gas hob does not come with a 3 pin socket, so does that mean this also needs to be hard wired too???
gocsan
Newly registered Member

Post by gocsan »

I can't imagine a gas hob that requires hard wiring. It only needs ignition for the flame.
darrenba

Post by darrenba »

gocsan wrote:I can't imagine a gas hob that requires hard wiring. It only needs ignition for the flame.
Usually wired into a 3a Switched Fused Connection Unit
darrenba

Post by darrenba »

gocsan wrote:Hmm looking at the manual it says 'In the installation, there must be an all-pin isolating switch with at least 3mm contact gap, or the appliance must be connected using a plug with an earthing contact. This must remain accessible after installation'.
There you go then - Isolation Switch required.
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

gocsan wrote:Just moving onto a slight different topic, I'm just reading my gas hob manual as well and it says 'The hobs are supplied with a power cable with or without a wall socket plug. Appliance with plugs must only be connected to sockets that have earth wires correctly installed. Provide an omnipolar cut-off switch with a minimum contact opening of 3mm (except for plug connections, if the user has access to it)'.

My gas hob does not come with a 3 pin socket, so does that mean this also needs to be hard wired too???
No - It means you should wire it to a double pole switched fused spur, or plug it into a double pole switched socket or into an unswitched socket.
John MacLeod

Post by John MacLeod »

OnlyMe wrote:
gocsan wrote:Just moving onto a slight different topic, I'm just reading my gas hob manual as well and it says 'The hobs are supplied with a power cable with or without a wall socket plug. Appliance with plugs must only be connected to sockets that have earth wires correctly installed. Provide an omnipolar cut-off switch with a minimum contact opening of 3mm (except for plug connections, if the user has access to it)'.

No - It means you should wire it to a double pole switched fused spur, or plug it into a double pole switched socket or into an unswitched socket.
It's the usual problem of dealing with equipment designed for the Continental market with a translation into pidgin-English with no regard to UK wiring practices. Omnipolar cut-off switch, indeed! 3-phase supply? Hardly!

Return to “Electric Forum UK”