DIY Tarmac

All building related posts in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

Larso
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

DIY Tarmac

Post by Larso »

Hi guys, I need to Tarmac or asphalt an area of about 40 sq metres where my driveway meets the road. Is there a DIY solution for this? Is it something I can do myself? I have access to a roller and I have the surface prepped with 804.
Thanks
L
Bikergirl

Re: DIY Tarmac

Post by Bikergirl »

I bought some line paint ages ago and now I get a catalogue from this company. They do tarmac, but I don't know if it's what you need. Might be worth dropping them a line.

http://www.polycoteuk.com/category-tarm ... ducts.html
Handyman in Sussex

Post by Handyman in Sussex »

Larso wrote:Hi guys, I need to Tarmac or asphalt an area of about 40 sq metres where my driveway meets the road. Is there a DIY solution for this? Is it something I can do myself? I have access to a roller and I have the surface prepped with 804.
Thanks
L
How thick are you laying the tarmac? If you work out for 50mm over 40m2 you have 2 cubic metres which is around 4.5 tons. You'll need a few fast workers with rakes and shovels to help you here and then roll it once level. Don't take it on on your own! It will go hard before you can finish. But with enough hands to help you you could do it....
Larso
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by Larso »

Thanks guys. Handyman, I hadn't actually worked that out. I have help so that's not a problem but I might get a quote from a contractor because that weight is going to be a problem transporting
aeromech3

Post by aeromech3 »

Hired an Irish gang, with me supervising, prep included cutting out loose and around the edging, protecting the brickwork from the tar emulsion spray, half lorry load of steaming tarmac, vibrator, leave two days.
Problems: had to write a job spec and what was to be included, terms no payment unless satisfied but all the time needing a drip feed £'s to pay the labour and for the tar; the lorry would not wait long as they are only booked to deliver the load, needed two men barrowing off and an expert rake spreader to get the levels; total four men working hard and fast, especially if the temperatures are like now, low.
Cost £1300 included paths up to the front door and back door. Already 42 months old and still pleased with it.
Attachments
Tarmac A.jpg
Tarmac A.jpg (85.55 KiB) Viewed 16362 times
Tarmac B.jpg
Tarmac B.jpg (66.56 KiB) Viewed 16362 times
These users thanked the author aeromech3 for the post:
getthewheelsinline
Rating: 7.14%
Handyman in Sussex

Post by Handyman in Sussex »

Larso wrote:Thanks guys. Handyman, I hadn't actually worked that out. I have help so that's not a problem but I might get a quote from a contractor because that weight is going to be a problem transporting
The supplier will bring it in hot for you in a ten ton lorry, back it in and tip out as required. You will need 4/5 good men armed with barrows, shovels, rakes etc and go fast when he comes because: a) He won't want to wait long, and b) Your tarmac will set if you're not quick.
I think it was around £80 a ton last time I had some, so if you've got cheap help and access to a roller you could do it very economically yourself.

Return to “Building Forum”