Handyman/multiskills course

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

Damo3716
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Handyman/multiskills course

Post by Damo3716 »

Hi Guys,
I am looking for some advice. I am thinking of setting up as a self employed handyman in my area. I have a good general DIY knowledge and have previously worked as a painter and decorator for a few years. I am currently employed but I am looking to possibly take voluntary redundancy.

However, in the mean time, I work shifts, which is somewhat inconvenient!
What I am hoping for from you guys is advice on a good short course available, either a multi-skills or a handyman course. Obviously, I'm not expecting qualifications, just some general training in certain areas where I would like to be more confident. The subjects I'm most interested in are; carpentry, basic plumbing, bricklaying and also maybe plastering.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
royaloakcarpentry

Re: Handyman/multiskills course

Post by royaloakcarpentry »

Short course.....6 weeks taking in 4 trades that would take 12 years to gain if done fully. I doubt you will get a course that isn't a waste of your money, to be honest.

Try your local adult education centre, they used to run short courses in the evening or weekend. Like home owners courses.

There are quite a few handymen on here, so they will be able to point you in the right direction for a course, that is aimed directly at the job.

The other alternative is to go back on the brushes.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

I agree with royaloakcarpentry, I would also say no matter what course you learn the one thing you will never get is experience. Its experience that really counts.
My "impression" of a handyman is some one who will change a light switch to a dimmer, or change a light fitting, stop a leaking tap, assemble a flat pack what ever, put up a shelf. All the little jobs people can not do, or are too old to do for themselves, If for example I wanted a wall plastered, I would get a plasterer in, not a handyman. Being a handyman you could do all the small jobs others don't want, but on the flip side, you have to know when a job is too big / above your ability.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Beachcomber

Post by Beachcomber »

As mentioned above - the #1 thing to remember is to know your limits and NEVER 'have a go' at anything you are less than 100% competant at.

#2 is NEVER, EVER be tempted to go for one of those 'learn plumbing in 6 weeks and eard 80k per year' courses. Many (if not all) of these skills training centres are a total waste of time, with poor training, unrecognised qualifications and huge fees (not just initial, but hidden examination / certification fees they spring on you half way through)

As you have skills painting and decorating I'd start off with this - take some time to brush up (sorry) on your skills, get up to date with latest techniques and products etc. and start from there.

At the same time, network with other tradespeople in your area and find a good plumber, builder, sparky etc. that you feel can do a good job for a good price. Then, when you get enquiries for jobs you are not trained / qualified to do, you can pass the work on. Conversely, when they get jobs in they can't cover they can pass it on to you.

This will enable you to handle a wider range of work while you bring your other skills up to speed.

Local colleges have plumbing / electrical courses etc. running all the time - these would be a good place to start.
This will enable you to build up your skills to the point where you are confident to do jobs for friends and family to gain some real life experience (nothing in the classroom can prepare you for what you will find on real jobs!)

Finally, if you are taking redundancy, don't be tempted to blow your redundancy cheque on tons of shiny new kit, a flashy web site and a signwritten van - you don't need it.

Just get a decent, clean van with some signage and the kit you need and keep a lid on costs from day one. Spend time researching effective trade advertising methods.
If at first you don't succeed - remove all evidence that you tried.
Megaross

Post by Megaross »

Don't do everything sort of half assed, do few things well, build up your skill set over time.

My advice to you is to phone up some local tradesmen and say you'll help them with free labour if they'll teach you some things.
Failing that talk to your local college advisors or consider looking for an apprenticeship - they're not just for young lads after all.

Way I got into it is bordering the obscure, because I'm a student. But I learned growing up, working with family members while I was at school and college, and later on from working with a full time professional deckie for a few weeks for free I learnt a lot then. But it is through hours and hours of practise and experience you learn these things, the theoretical side will only carry you so far.

When I went into it though, always do things by the book - pay your tax, proper insurance, don't bullshit about what you are capable of. Never do a job half arsed, if the customer can't afford to do it right, don't do it at all.
Don't pander for a wage, if the customer doesn't want to pay your day rate/ job price then don't bother.

And for peace of mind of the customer I make them sign a contract which basically stipulates unless it's up to the pre agreed specification and standard, they don't have to pay - I have to get in someone to put it up to their standards.
And luckily I never had to do that, it also means they can't get out of paying me and tends to ward off people who are planning to pull a fast one.
cotswold builders
BANNED

Post by cotswold builders »

royaloakcarpentry wrote:

There are quite a few handymen on here, so they will be able to point you in the right direction for a course, that is aimed directly at the job.
Dickies the man you need :-)
royaloakcarpentry

Post by royaloakcarpentry »

I had a peek........loads of courses from 2K upwards for a week or two.
Bikergirl

Post by Bikergirl »

I'm a handywoman. I didn't learn on a course. I learned from helping my Dad, doing things around my house and my family's and friend's houses, then working for an organisation as their handyperson. When I was employed, anytime I came across something I couldn't do, we called the relevant trade, and I would either watch and learn or help and learn. I have continued to do so ever since.

Know your limits, be up front with the customer about what you can and can't do, for whatever reason (eg I never change a bath unless they can provide the muscle to get the old bath out and the new one in, because I can do the plumbing/ fitting/ fixing etc, but I can't carry a bath upstairs. I don't remove radiators- I can and have done it, but on a simple run with a boiler I was very familiar with- wouldn't touch it on anyone else's.)

I agree on spending money- my website is free, and the domain name costs about £15 a year. Business cards £12 for 1000. Estate car- not fab, but does the job. Posters in the back windows- £30. I spent out on a decent drill, a decent ladder and a few toolbags to keep everything in order.
lockie

Post by lockie »

When i started out as a locksmith and work was short i offered a handyman service because i was getting loads of requests to do little jobs while i was on a lock job.These ranged from putting up a flat pack to a tv bracket or even getting a sofa to an upstairs room (removed door and battens). The problem i found when i actually advertised it directly was the amount of people who wanted a proper tradesman for handyman prices.I was getting jobs to redecorate whole flats,plaster walls after fitting new electrics etc.This wasnt the reason i advertised, it was for filler jobs like sticking up some shelves to fit in around the locksmith work so i knocked it on the head and stuck to what i knew.

The problem is when you take on work you cant do,do you have the insurances,competance and skill to actually do it ? Its exciting when the phone rings with an enquiry and you need the work but its also a trap you can fall into saying yes to stuff you cant do.
You can lose any reputation you have built up quickly if you cock it up.

Only yesterday i sorted out a job for someone that had already had two people out to.It was french upvc doors that werent closing properly.It was done before the kettle had boiled only because of my experience with that particular problem.The other two people had spent ages on them apparently and i was only doing the job as a favour for someone as i knew it was easy ! Im not in the trade any more either.

Be prepared for the wide range of calls you will be getting, stick to your strengths and dont be afraid to say no if you are out of your depth.

Return to “General DIY forum”