Tools not socks this Christmas

Reviews of hand tools in this forum please.

Moderator: Moderators

Duck_Tape

Tools not socks this Christmas

Post by Duck_Tape »

Christmas is not so far away and rather than the jumpers and socks I inevitably get
I am looking for tools this year.
#1 on the wish list is a good set of screwdrivers in a storage box of a decent quality.

What is the best type of tip on a manual driver
Chrome Vanadium or something else

Thanks James
I love hard work, I could watch it all day
JohnKay

Re: Tools not socks this Christmas

Post by JohnKay »

Chrome Vanadium is only a type of steel often used for screwdrivers, and frequently stamped on cheap rubbish. if you want something decent, go for a recognised brand, and leave the choice of steel to them. In my opinion, the choice of makes depends a lot on handle design, the best grip seems to be obtained from the smoothest shape, like the old wooden ones. Axminster Tool Centre do quite a nice set by Wiha. I've not seen anything that comes in a box.
How about using the box last years socks came in!
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Believe it or not Stanley still make reasonable screwdrivers, in sets, in plastc boxes. I have a set of Fat Max screwdrivers, like these, in the van all the time. I agree they're not the best quality, but I've found them up to trade use and quite comfortable to use. Price isn't too bad either
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Bikergirl

Post by Bikergirl »

I've got a Stanley set that was bought for me ages ago, and they're pretty good.
peterwellsplumbing
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by peterwellsplumbing »

I like the Stanley fat max tool box as well as their drivers.
JohnKay

Post by JohnKay »

Yes, I'd also agree with stanley, Just for interest, those shown by Job and Knock are made for stanley by Bost in Germany, and regarded as one of the best. Another rebranded quality driver is the Bahco, made in Spain by Irazola, again one of the best.
This is the first time I,ve seen the Stanley in a box, thanks for that Job and Knock.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

I've got the same as in J&K's link, though I bought mine individually as needed. They've served me well. Thirty six quid for a whole set can't be bad. :thumbleft:

I actually could do with some socks... bet I don't get any :roll:
When I heard they'd discovered a cure for dyslexia it was like music to my arse!
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Pooneil wrote:
I actually could do with some socks...

Agreed, It's not like we're ever going to go out looking for socks...whereas Tools... :roll: :thumbleft:
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Cannyfixit

Post by Cannyfixit »

I bought a Teng screwdriver set about 3 years ago cost me £29.99 served me very well
Dead image links removed by Admin 08/11/2013
now if you want real value for money have at Cromwell tools they do a range of screw drivers made by Kennedy,I bought a 12" No2 pozi for about £5 used it everyday and i cant break it
If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/#/ple ... 4529684719
Nesbitproperty
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nesbitproperty »

I LOVE the Wera drivers. However atm I am using a Wiha set I got for my birthday
scot-canuck

Post by scot-canuck »

Wera lasertip screw drivers, their VDE drivers unusually stand up well to normally screwdriving and are also 1000V insulated
They also do a non VDE "normal" set of screwdrivers.

lasertip is brilliant, grooves really help the drivers get a good grip of the screwhead...a ton better than the cheap screwdrivers I had previously.

VDE lasertip -> http://www.screwfix.com/p/wera-kraftfor ... 7pcs/48111 (toss the neon screwdriver in the bin, they are the epitome of useless from ANY brand)

Lasertip non VDE -> http://www.screwfix.com/p/wera-kraftfor ... 6pcs/75509

Screwdriver holders -> http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-12 ... rod816155/

Storage box -> http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/3253 ... t1%2070702 (overkill possibly but a man can dream ;-) )
Gone M.I.A.
fin

Post by fin »

out of interest why does everyone hate those neon screwdriver things? apart from that they are rubbish basically... ie they always snap dead easily. all the sparkys i know just say there ***** with no explanation as to why. i dont have one myself. i just have a few sparkying drivers for times i need to remove sockets/ light switches etc. and i have a non contact voltage sensor to check cables are dead
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

fin wrote:out of interest why does everyone hate those neon screwdriver things? apart from that they are rubbish basically... ie they always snap dead easily. all the sparkys i know just say there ***** with no explanation as to why. i dont have one myself. i just have a few sparkying drivers for times i need to remove sockets/ light switches etc. and i have a non contact voltage sensor to check cables are dead

Because they can and do give false readings...and they're normally very cheap plastic which breaks, and they're not VDE rated...
Verwood Handyman

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
scot-canuck

Post by scot-canuck »

and you can't use them as a screwdriver (had one came in a kit that explicitly said do not use as a screwdriver....no wonder first sign of pressure it snapped.)
Gone M.I.A.
fin

Post by fin »

yer they are pretty pointless like. my dad loves em and buys loads of em. as i said i use normal sparkying drivers if i need to.

Return to “Hand tool reviews”