Puma

Mythic Wood paints review

Post by Puma »

In Brief:

Mythic primer - must have product for people using acrylics
Mythic eggshell - class leader, but very matt
Mythic semi-gloss - class leader, but quite shiny
Mythic gloss - probably a class leader but not tested

The mythic primer really has to be seen to be believed. It seems only to be a bit above Crown / Dulux acrylic primer in terms of opacity. Its real winning characteristic is its flatness upon drying. It has to be seen to be believed, basically you can slop this stuff on pretty casually and the film dries to an extraodinary flatness, it makes it almost as good as oil imo - though this is a touchy subject!!! I personally prefer it infinitely to using oil - it dries so quickly, about 30 minutes; it's drip free; it doesn't smell; and it has a really chalky finish.

Basically my process has developed in to applying primer with an alpha sash. (I found only recently that these are available, they cut in odds and bobs and skirting tops fine and dandy compared to the normal alpha varnish). Dab in any refills. Apply one thin coat of FnB estate eggshell and its job done. Yes that's two coats only, even on heavily yellowed gloss. Halleluliah people what a relief! I apply the FnB with a soft brush; FnB does not like to be used straight out of the tin and needs to be thinned a lot.

The primer needs to be mixed very well as is common with acrylics, it boxes in quite well into 2.5 liter pots. It seems to be the perfect consistency for coating up gloss without thinning. It does need a slightly stiffer bristle around about the Purdy Elite stiffness.

I have mentioned that the alphas seemed to be a bit soft previously but my alpha varnish seems to have stiffened very slightly or has merely come into its own in the winter temperatures. The sash seems ideal so far.

The eggshell as mentioned is way, way too flat - it really looks like a matt paint, and just isn't really suitable for the real world! The coverage is superb for an eggshell and it would make a good bathroom paint.

The semi-gloss I've used a fair bit. It is confusing using these paints having come from old acrylics where the 'flop it on' and play it smooth takes ages and is all too fine craftsperson ish for words. The opacity is such that they can be nicely thinned, slapped on rapidly with a soft brush and it will level pretty much like water in a pond. I've used this on bathroom walls and it has saved a coat over a standard eggshell.

For a normal eggshell like finish I will be chucking some primer into the semi-gloss at some stage to take the sheen down though I don't know if this is recommended by the manufacturer.

Sikkens BL is known for giving a lovely finish, but compared to these products it is just an impractical consideration, it will put at least a day on a hallway over these products for a very slighly more translucent effect alone, I think, thoughts anyone.

Anyhow delighted with the range. Thank you Mythic!
These users thanked the author Puma for the post (total 6):
Colour RepublicTJRoberts DecoratingdynamodtransitboyultimatehandymanBikergirl
Rating: 42.86%
TJRoberts Decorating

Re: Mythic Wood paints review

Post by TJRoberts Decorating »

Thanks for the review. You should maybe do a video or some photos? I have heard alot of good things said about this paint the down side is the price tho
dynamod
Elephant Man

Post by dynamod »

Good reviews Puma. I've said it before, that acrylics will eventually come into line with the properties we get from oils, without the drawbacks.

Out of curiosity, are these hybrids?
Nihil expectore in omnibus
fordy

Post by fordy »

If it is as good as you say Puma, price really shouldnt be an issue.

If it covers as well as oil you (just might) have converted an oil head :salute:

Do they have an undercoat or is it a P/U jobby.

Is it a MSP type paint?
transitboy

Post by transitboy »

Puma. good review and you might of turn another old oil head, if it covers in two coats.
I must admit frb estate eggshell is very nice gear and adding some flotrol helps a lot I have found
Puma

Post by Puma »

Thanks everyone. The binder was developed by a university technical department in the USA for use in submarines as a paint with zero toxicity.

The primer is a multi surface primer. It claims to stain block, but just forget it as a stain blocker.

The primer is very slightly oily it just seems to stick a little better to the substrate and flow out into the shallows of the brush marks to provide the coverage. This means stirring the paint completely is necessary as otherwise the oiliness is lost at the bottom of the can.

Basically even if you are an oil fan it's worth getting a can of the primer for those times when you need a quick drying paint. Say you have a room with new skirting two coats of the primer will get it bone white, whilst remaining flat, in two coats in an hour.

I took a load of photos, but won't get them up for several months sorry!
Colour Republic

Post by Colour Republic »

Puma wrote:The binder was developed by a university technical department in the USA for use in submarines as a paint with zero toxicity.
Where did you hear that Puma? I'm sure I was told it was developed for the pentagon after some idiots buried a plane in the side of it. I thought it was so the air filtration system didn't have to be turned off :scratch: :scratch:

Can't remeber if it was Matt or Bertie who told me?
B Richardson Decor

Post by B Richardson Decor »

Colour Republic wrote:
Puma wrote:The binder was developed by a university technical department in the USA for use in submarines as a paint with zero toxicity.
Where did you hear that Puma? I'm sure I was told it was developed for the pentagon after some idiots buried a plane in the side of it. I thought it was so the air filtration system didn't have to be turned off :scratch: :scratch:

Can't remeber if it was Matt or Bertie who told me?
Yeah that's what i've heard and also telling people when they ask about the paint!!!
From a Sikkens BL man , this is the nuts !! Will pop some photo's on shortly!!
Baz.
I wanna burn my Rome and get high but i can't find my matches...
B Richardson Decor

Right here's some photo's from a recent job I carried out ( sorry Puma if treading on your toes you know what these lot are like for photo's etc :wink: ), internal wood previously stained with sadolin to go to white! Used zinsser bin as primer/adhesion coat (as was unaware Mythic MPP was upto the job.) Then finish with 2 coats Mythic semi-gloss.
1st coat over BIN
2nd coat job done!
On the spindles i gave them another quick wash in as to my eye they were alittle patchy :wink:
These users thanked the author B Richardson Decor for the post (total 2):
transitboyultimatehandyman
Rating: 14.29%
dynamod
Elephant Man

Post by dynamod »

I'm guessing that's the high gloss, as from the photos the wood looks pretty shiny. Looks good though, and has covered really well in that 1st photo.

I'm actually starting to think acrylic is really starting to come good, and the days of 4 coats and stringy finish are coming to an end. :huray:

BRD - you've not ditched Sikkens BL have you?
Nihil expectore in omnibus
B Richardson Decor

Dyna, that's the semi-gloss and is a tad shiny but think i took them when wet as well. Not totally ditched the BL..depends on the job and what the customer and I prefer!
Puma

Post by Puma »

Matt the Mythic rep told be about the development for submarine painting, he was in full sales bluster when he told me so the tale could have been 'developed' for the audience. :wink: The uni of s mississippi is widely mentioned as the developers of the binders on the website though.

Thanks for the photos Baz.

I've just been told Mythic are bringing out a proper Satin soon, and weirdly are lowering their prices in April... and are bringing out a less expensive 'pro' range. :scratch:
fordy

Post by fordy »

I heard the binder was made from the sweat around the b*llocks of a unicorn! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
transitboy

Post by transitboy »

fordy wrote:I heard the binder was made from the sweat around the b*llocks of a unicorn! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sounds like he had to many binders and as lost his :-) :-) and they say oil based is bad for you listen to this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0vPGnCJ ... re=related
Looks spot on brd,who supplies this paint been looking on Internet and cant find a supplier and the price
B Richardson Decor

You can get it direct from mythic.co.uk i think , i get it from TDS(brewers now) Derby.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”