Bitumous material needed

All Questions about Acrylic in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

TigerUK

Bitumous material needed

Post by TigerUK »

I have no idea whether this should be posted on roofing (as they deal with bitumen) or computing or here.

Taking a stab at it here because this is about man made materials.

I'm after some thick flexible bitumous material, maybe even rubber, but bitumous material is most often used for this job.

My computer is a bit noisy and I'm looking to dampen the noises by adding weight to the side panels to reduce vibrations with the aid of 2mm thick bitumous material. (for the deep noises)

Then adding 5-10mm thick foam on top (for the high pitch noises).

With a final layer of thick duct tape, the mesh fabric inside the duct tape should break up the sounds.

I'm looking for a really cheap job, a full kit costs around £35 for soundproofing, I'm trying to be a cheapskate and do it next to nothing. I have very strong grip duct tape, some very sticky double sided carpet tape and have cut up a yoga mat for the foam. I've installed it and it's worked very well at eliminating the hit pitch noises, but the side panels need weight to remove the low pitch noises. Which is why I need bitumen.

Anyone have any recommendations of where I can find products that contain the desired material? Some people recommended roofing materials, others recommended tiles. But they're no ideal.

It also needs to be scent free, I understand that roofing matieral contains a lot of chemicals which may come out when the computer gets warm.

Side request. I was thinking of using other materials, like busted by bicycle inner tubes. split them open. soak them in water rise, air dry and use them. But do you think it will have the same acoustic dampening properties as bitumen?
Simon Site Manager

Re: Bitumous material needed

Post by Simon Site Manager »

Hi,

Neoprene may do it!

SSM
Measure twice, cut once!
TigerUK

Post by TigerUK »

Thanks neoprene sounds like a more home friendly material than bitumen. Does it have the same density and weight as bitumen? The means reason for this material is weight, to remove the vibration noise.
Simon Site Manager

Post by Simon Site Manager »

It's the stuff wet suits are made out of!
Measure twice, cut once!
root

Post by root »

could layer up some onduline eaves trays.... although there are soundproofing rubber and foam and anti vibration fixings exspecially made for computers...
- Dave

Return to “Acrylic Forum”