bt internet radio

Telecommunications, Broadband and networking questions in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

handyman

bt internet radio

Post by handyman »

http://www.shop.bt.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=4BDQ

I may be way behind the times here, but i have never seen this type of radio before. Anyone got one, ot heard if they are any good?
skiking
Has thanked: 0

Post by skiking »

Not at that price! Its no different to what you can receive via your home computer. I think I'll stick to the computer.

One thing to bare in mind is that some broadcasts that come over the normal radio waves and not allowed to be broadcast over the internet. Things like sporting events say on Radio 5 Live...they may have the radio rights but not the internet rights so they have to put out a recorded message when listening over the internet.
handyman

Post by handyman »

it appears to be a really good price, when it comes to internet radios that is. :wink:
skiking

Post by skiking »

It'll be like DAB....that was expensive when it first came out now its relatively cheap.

You can but a cheap PC for that price to do the same. You don't need a big processor to browse the web, which is all the internet radio is doing
Hoovie
Borders Bodger

Post by Hoovie »

99 squid is pretty good actually - handier and simplier then a PC if you just want to listen to radio on the internet in another room or whatever

I think these will also play your MP3s that are on another PC on your wireless network.

Not sure how obvious it is, but you need a wireless setup and broadband connection for this to work.

10 reviews and an average of 5/5 rating is pretty good feedback too :thumbright:
I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?"
She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
Hoovie
Borders Bodger

Post by Hoovie »

skiking wrote:Not at that price! Its no different to what you can receive via your home computer. I think I'll stick to the computer.

One thing to bare in mind is that some broadcasts that come over the normal radio waves and not allowed to be broadcast over the internet. Things like sporting events say on Radio 5 Live...they may have the radio rights but not the internet rights so they have to put out a recorded message when listening over the internet.
Hi Skiking- you are right about some broadcasts not transmitted over internet - not that many but very annoying when you are waiting for one and that is announced :angryfire:

Do you use any particular program to listen to internet radio? FWIW I use iRadio a lot- lets you record and/or listen and will save the broadcasted materials with the rigth descriptions - e.g. if you set to record a channel for a day, it will split the programs into individual MP3s with their own names as set by the broadcaster - not sure if you tried this app :-)
I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?"
skiking

Post by skiking »

I generally listen to R5Live when I've got to go into the office so I use whatever the BBC let me use. :lol:
Hoovie
Borders Bodger

Post by Hoovie »

Off topic sort of (sorry Hank) - anyone use the "listen again" feature of BBC radio - playback missed programs? I have been getting problems with it sort of pausing for many minutes and then restarting suddendly (and it is not the BB connection) - makes in unusable
handyman

Post by handyman »

i ignored you and got one!!

Its really good. Was listening to a really rubbish talk radio station in Oz today whilst fixing stuff in the kitchen. Funny stuff, all drunks phoning up in the middle of the night :lol:

Really like it :grin:
Hoovie
Borders Bodger

Post by Hoovie »

Good Stuff :thumbright:

Is it Mains Power only?
handyman

Post by handyman »

yes, its the only downside.

I presume it would be like dab radio, and would go through batteries quickly
Hoovie
Borders Bodger

Post by Hoovie »

I thought that would be the case, sadly.

I have been holding off for that reason, but when you posted the BT one at under £100, I am very tempted to go for that myself as well.

Seen a few portable DAB radios coming out over the last year and I actually have DAB built into my mobile, but took a few years after DAB launched though.
handyman

Post by handyman »

i have had 3 different pocket dab radios. The sony one was so bad i sent it back, didnt pick up stations. Then had a 'ministry of sound' one with was ok, but eats batteries. The third is a cheap bush one out of aldi, and it picks up the stations the best and batteries last about 1/3rd more
Hoovie
Borders Bodger

Post by Hoovie »

I hope this will not annoy you, Handyman ....

I went to PC World to get a new hard drive enclosure after my last one blew up and while there saw a Logik Internet Radio.... £35!

So I thought I had to give it a go at that price and I am surprised how good it is and easy to setup.

What I am amazed at is how good the interface is. For example, I selected BBC R2 from the list of 850 UK Stations and it gave me the option of Live or Play on Demand. So I chose Play on Demand and it let me scroll down all the porgrams that were broadcast on Radio 2 and could be played again.

Think I will be probably getting another one for upstairs (this one was meant to be for kitchen)
handyman

Post by handyman »

balls :angryfire:

::b

Return to “communications and broadband”