Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

tomba26
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wallpaper Advice.

Post by tomba26 »

Hi all, looking for a little advice on wallpapering please.
My other half has decided she wants a feature wall in our house and has gone out and bought some paper from B & Q :roll: , the paper seems ok but it's the paste the wall type paper. I have a few questions and hoped you could give me some advice.

1. First of all is lining the wall with lining paper neccessary? The paper is going onto a plasterboard wall which was drylined and skimmed say 5 or 6 years ago, no cracks or anything, just a few nibs from where it's been emulsioned (easily taken care of with sandpaper I would think).

2. If lining paper is needed, can I do it vertically if I stagger joints with the finish wallpaper? It's a long room and I'm on my own so I reckon despite more cuts the vertical hanging would be easier (if needed) than cross lining. Also do I need to size the wall before lining?

3. As the finish wallpaper is paste the wall first, any good tips on how not to get paste on the front of the finish wallpaper? I imagine as you are brushing bubbles out the bristles will come in contact with the paste on the wall and then back onto the front of the paper.

Any advice would be great folks, I am a tradesman (joiner) so don't mind being hands on but very little experience with papering. :scratch:
jozeffo

Re: Wallpaper Advice.

Post by jozeffo »

Brush out the paper with a hanging brush carefully, leaving the last half inch and then carefully finish the join with a seam roller. When you have finished the next drop, tidy up the seam before which will have paper on both sides of it and therefore your brush will not get paste on it.

You can vertically stagger the joints, but I would only line if you have a problem wall or it specifically says you should always do so in the instructions. If the wall is good as you say, then take off the nibs and take your time with the prep. If you could paint it, then it will hang fine.
Deccy

Post by Deccy »

If the wall is as good as you say it is then there is no need for lining paper, especially as it's a 'paste the wall' paper - it won't expand as it has a non woven backing. Give the wall a good de-nib, size it with some diluted paste a good few hours before your due to paper then you're ready to go. I always use a pasting table even for these papers I just find it easier.
tomba26
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by tomba26 »

Thanks for the help fellas, much appreciated.
With regards not using lining paper, will I have any issue with the paper really sticking quickly to the wall...will I be able to move it around ok to tweak/set butt joints?
Also Deccy when you say you still like to use a pasting table, are you saying you paste the wall and the paper, or just the paper (like normal wallpaper)?
Cheers.
transitboy

Post by transitboy »

I am the same as Deccy .I sizes the wall and .just paste the paper using a 9"roller. Some of these paste the wall paper also tell you can paste the paper instead of the wall if you like.
Have Brush Will Travel

Post by Have Brush Will Travel »

1. First of all is lining the wall with lining paper neccessary? The paper is going onto a plasterboard wall which was drylined and skimmed say 5 or 6 years ago, no cracks or anything, just a few nibs from where it's been emulsioned (easily taken care of with sandpaper I would think).
It might be painted with contract matt or vinyl silk/soft sheen..not good surfaces to paper over..definitely size the walls first and allow them to dry..if the moisture in the paste soaks through the contact matt you could end up with bad bubbles..
2. If lining paper is needed, can I do it vertically if I stagger joints with the finish wallpaper? It's a long room and I'm on my own so I reckon despite more cuts the vertical hanging would be easier (if needed) than cross lining. Also do I need to size the wall before lining?
Taking my last comments on board..I would rather line the wall first..its the ideal surface to paper over...you can indeed stagger the joints..just start at the opposite end you intend to start papering...but double check first just in case any of the joints do overlap..and yes..you might still need to size.
3. As the finish wallpaper is paste the wall first, any good tips on how not to get paste on the front of the finish wallpaper? I imagine as you are brushing bubbles out the bristles will come in contact with the paste on the wall and then back onto the front of the paper.
Dont apply too much paste to the wall...use a shortish pile roller..or a medium woven one..

Dont use a artex caulker or anything hard to smooth the paper out..it will squidge the paste out of the edges...

Keep your tools (especially your papering brush) clean and free from paste

If you dont have a decent papering brush use a long pile roller sleeve..

Keep a bucket of warm water and a sponge to hand and wipe the paper over after you hang each piece..whether you think you have got paste on it or not..better still, keep your brush or long pile sleeve in water and use it wet..(not dripping) when you are smoothing the paper out..it kills two birds with one stone..

Keep your hands clean and free from paste..

Dont roll the whole wall with paste in one go...do about 600mm at a time..enough for each length,

Cut your lengths first and back roll them so you can just drop them down the wall..
I intend to live forever......So far, so good

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”