Bathroom ceiling

This is where you can post pictures of work that you have done. Tradesmen and DIY pictures are all welcome. Please only post pictures of work that you have done personally. Thanks

Moderator: Moderators

ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Bathroom ceiling

Post by ultimatehandyman »

Here is a couple of pics of a ceiling that I have almost finished in an ensuite bathroom.

The bathroom was artexed before and above the shower area there were mosaic tiles on the ceiling. It looks much better now.

Fitting the stud work for the planks and fitting the planks and the downlighters and the extractor was pretty easy and enjoyable, but fitting the damn beading around the ceiling was a nightmare. None of the corners were square and I am sure that my mitre saw is cutting 45 degrees one way and 46 degrees the other way :?

Fitting the beading on laminate flooring is much easier.

I'll post the before pictures at a later date.
Attachments
Before picture 1
Before picture 1
bathroom-before.jpg (24.4 KiB) Viewed 8029 times
before picture 2
before picture 2
bathroom-before1.jpg (21.45 KiB) Viewed 8029 times
bathroom_ceiling.jpg
bathroom_ceiling.jpg (23.98 KiB) Viewed 8047 times
bathroom_ceiling_1.jpg
bathroom_ceiling_1.jpg (26.12 KiB) Viewed 8047 times
bathroom_ceiling_2.jpg
bathroom_ceiling_2.jpg (24.61 KiB) Viewed 8047 times
Last edited by ultimatehandyman on Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
tim'll fix it
BANNED
Has thanked: 0

Post by tim'll fix it »

is it real wood ? or the upvc stuff

I have fitted the white upvc type stuff once, what a nightmare trying to lock 3m lengths together on the ceiling ::b

the stuff I was doing was called starline ? or summat :?
Paslode_itw
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by Paslode_itw »

If your chop saw is dewalt then your right
tim'll fix it
BANNED

Post by tim'll fix it »

yes the fence on my dewalt is not straight so will cut 45 from the middle of a length or 46 from the end of one
yourweb
Been thanked: 0

Post by yourweb »

At first I thought I was looking at the floor. But than as I looked at the rest of the pics I realized this was not the case. Nice job.

There is suppose to be a trick for doing corner molding if your walls are not square. For the life of me I don't remember what it is. The only thing I can think of is that angle tool. Not sure what it is called.
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

tim'll fix it wrote:is it real wood ? or the upvc stuff

I have fitted the white upvc type stuff once, what a nightmare trying to lock 3m lengths together on the ceiling ::b

the stuff I was doing was called starline ? or summat :?
Its'mdf and coated, just like laminate flooring.

Diy peter fitted this in his office a few posts down.

The planks are only about 1.2m in length and were pretty easy to fit, but the beading was a nightmare!
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

I was using the Bosch GFS 350 E

But for some reason if I cut a 45 degree one way and then another way and put them together the joint would be out be a mm or so :?

Fixing beading on a ceiling is a pain in the butt as well, it's much easier on the floor!
Hoovie
Borders Bodger

Post by Hoovie »

ultimatehandyman wrote: Fixing beading on a ceiling is a pain in the butt as well, it's much easier on the floor!
I presume that the boards must be fixed in place and be rigid? (floating ceiling?) - if so, could you eliminate the need for a expansion gap, go close up to the wall edge, and then have the wall tiles cover any gap in the same way skirting would on a floor?
I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?"
She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Nope, you have to leave an 8mm gap all the way around and then you have to leave a 3mm gap between the beading and the wall for ventillation purposes.
leebwk

Post by leebwk »

Nice Job UHM :thumbright:
If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments..
Hoovie
Borders Bodger

Post by Hoovie »

very smart indeed - looking for a solution for my bathroom - lath and plaster ceiling (and walls :sad: ) and inside the airing cupboard it is totally shagged - and as airing cupboard coming out, not sure what to do (I cannot plaster to save my life)

either clad it or get a man in!

BTW - Downlighters look well good - where did you get them?
I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?"
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Hoovie wrote:very smart indeed - looking for a solution for my bathroom - lath and plaster ceiling (and walls :sad: ) and inside the airing cupboard it is totally shagged - and as airing cupboard coming out, not sure what to do (I cannot plaster to save my life)

either clad it or get a man in!

BTW - Downlighters look well good - where did you get them?
That type of ceiling is easy to fit, but the beading is difficult and it made it harder by setting up the saw in the garage and so for each piece I had to walk to the garage and then open the door etc. I'll post a tutorial soon on how to fit the ceiling, I wish I could remember the name of the stuff lol

The downlights were the cheap ones from screwfix and are all 12v, the one in the shower is a fan with halogen lamp in the middle, again all 12v.
Hoovie
Borders Bodger

Post by Hoovie »

Thanks - I fitted some downlights (cheap ones from Wickes) in my last bathroom, but I think they would now not pass current regs and also went rusty within a couple of years :sad:
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Personally I hate downlighters and they should be banned. They use too much electricity and get too hot with a normal hologen bulb and they are hard work if there is insulation above.

I much rather prefer a flourescent :lol:
Hoovie
Borders Bodger

Post by Hoovie »

Don't think the ladies like flourescents too much - too much becomes visible!
Here is an interesting alternative to normal downlighters- http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 7&id=42771
IP66. 12V. 40mm diameter LED Kit with IP66 rating for indoor or outdoor use. 4 fittings supplied, each containing 8 super-bright LEDs. Extendable with Add-on Kit.
5m cable per fitting, 10-way master junction box with 10m cable, 8 super bright LEDs per fitting

Return to “Show Case Gallery”