Energy saving light bulbs

Energy saving questions in here please

Moderator: Moderators

Rich-Ando
Pro Tradesman

Re: Energy saving light bulbs

Post by Rich-Ando »

as above, i've bought some over the years that have failed the moment i have turned them on but had some others that i havn't changed for over 10 years.
Butterfly wrote:I've got energy saving bulbs in all of the lights/ lamps... except the kitchen and bathroom where there are spot lights. Can you get energy saving spot lights?? I don't think I've ever seen them, but that doesn't mean that don't exist! :dunno:
yes you can, i fit them regularly. having used many types of the CFL lamps i came to the conclusion that the Megaman ones are the only ones that have lasted and now i use them all the time (14Watt ones). as they are usually for kitchens in the uses i have had there is no need for dimming, kitchens are meant to be bright not dim but yes, they do carry a price tag.
i'm still not behind LED's. they look nice and that is as far as i have used them for, decorative not brightness.
Stoday
Deceased 21-10-2011 R.I.P

Post by Stoday »

kellys_eye wrote: Enery saving? again questionable as some people claim the heat given off by standard light bulbs actually makes a difference to that used in the home as a whole and that reducing the heat by using CFLs means you have to replace it by turning up the heating.... :dunno: That particular 'excuse' seems a bit difficult to prove although the theory is sound.
Exactly the same comment was made, mutatis mutandis, when incandescent lamps were taking over from gas.
I should be dead; I've cheated the Grim Reaper yet again by surviving my third heart attack in June.
Rich-Ando
Pro Tradesman

Post by Rich-Ando »

Stoday wrote:
kellys_eye wrote: Enery saving? again questionable as some people claim the heat given off by standard light bulbs actually makes a difference to that used in the home as a whole and that reducing the heat by using CFLs means you have to replace it by turning up the heating.... :dunno: That particular 'excuse' seems a bit difficult to prove although the theory is sound.
Exactly the same comment was made, mutatis mutandis, when incandescent lamps were taking over from gas.
but you would HAVE to be Stod's age to have been there when it happened :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Rich-Ando wrote:
Stoday wrote:
but you would HAVE to be Stod's age to have been there when it happened :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Damn...beaten to it....

And when candles were superceded by Gas-light....

(When I were a lad, when it were cold, we'd all huddle round a candle...when it got really cold....we'd light the candle.....)
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
scot-canuck

Post by scot-canuck »

I've had some LED GU10s in my living room light for over a month, burning ~8-10 hours a day every day at the moment.
Light can be seen in this other post here -> led-gu10-s-t34741.html

I'll post if they blow, though so far so good, 3 x 3W compared to 3 x 50w halogens and cost me £6 to £8 each.
Gone M.I.A.
AAA.Handy.Man
BANNED

Post by AAA.Handy.Man »

Stoday wrote: ... mutatis mutandis ...
:dunno:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin_phrases

' Handy
Stoday
Deceased 21-10-2011 R.I.P

Post by Stoday »

Don't schools teach Latin anymore? :lol:
I should be dead; I've cheated the Grim Reaper yet again by surviving my third heart attack in June.
Sparky James

Post by Sparky James »

Stoday wrote:Don't schools teach Latin anymore? :lol:
They did when I went to school :oops:
handyman

Post by handyman »

Philips extra warm (2700K) 7w led bulbs, 240v, dimmable, gu10. Superb halogen replacements, exactly the same colour as halogen light, and slightly more light, I'd say 55w equivalent. Fitted 20 odd now, and everyone very happy with results............apart from them costing £30 a pop :shock:
DIY_Johnny
Mr. Grumpy

Post by DIY_Johnny »

Can you use a dimmer with these ones; I thought there was a minimum load with the dimmers?
handyman

Post by handyman »

DIY_Johnny
Mr. Grumpy

Post by DIY_Johnny »

Thanks Handy man, i guess the problem is getting dimmers that match your existing fittings (in terms of looks)

Probably too much to ask :wink:
handyman

Post by handyman »

By the looks of it, I was just lucky..........Seen they were dimmable, and fitted in customers house, and they dimmed.

Return to “Energy Saving”