Solar PV

Energy saving questions in here please

Moderator: Moderators

kellys_eye

Re: Solar PV

Post by kellys_eye »

Having read up on these tariffs (FITs) I note the following:
from the Energy Saving Trust Website - A number of companies are now offering free solar PV to customers in return for the income generated through FITs.
In other words the scheme is so profitable that you can get free solar PV systems. Said 'profit' coming direct from other electricity users.

Pardon my french but this is so f****g wrong I don't know where to start. F****g Labour government has royally stitched up the common man.

Not only are these taxes despicable the formation of the MCS (Microgeneration Certification Scheme) also means companies being set up to exploit this 'tax' and further rip-off the public. I can only wonder how may MPs are owners or share-holders in such companies.

:cussing: :cussing: :cussing:
Don't take it personally......
Stoday
Deceased 21-10-2011 R.I.P

Post by Stoday »

thescruff wrote:So where am I going wrong.
You've got the array pointing south instead of west and you've not included the value of electricity generated (~44p/kWh).

And congrats to Kellys_eye. You've sussed out the real issue.

-- Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:35 am --
MikeGrahamT21 wrote: A quick calculation on the PVWatts site shows £1300 a year
To get that you must have assumed that you will turn your house round 90° so that the roof faces south instead of west. :lol:
I should be dead; I've cheated the Grim Reaper yet again by surviving my third heart attack in June.
BORIS2
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by BORIS2 »

West facing 4Kw retro-fit Solar PV should generate 2300Kw / annum (no guarentee).
2300 @ 41.3 p is £949.90
Assume 50% used @ 10p/unit is £115.00
50% sold to grid @ 3p/unit is £34.50

Total return on £20k investment is £1099.40 or 5.5% tax free.
Better than the bank but your £20K is gone.
Wait until the government launch their "green loans" for home improvements
or twist your roof through 90 degrees.

Hope This Helps
thescruff

Post by thescruff »

BORIS2 wrote:West facing 4Kw retro-fit Solar PV should generate 2300Kw / annum (no guarentee).
2300 @ 41.3 p is £949.90
Assume 50% used @ 10p/unit is £115.00
50% sold to grid @ 3p/unit is £34.50

Total return on £20k investment is £1099.40 or 5.5% tax free.
Better than the bank but your £20K is gone.
Wait until the government launch their "green loans" for home improvements
or twist your roof through 90 degrees.

Hope This Helps
Yes but you're still forgetting the interest on the loan, say an average 7%, £1400 a year, God know what it may be in 10yesars down the road.

So you put yourself in hock for an additional £20k for what? other than the worry of having to pay an extra £100 a month on the mortgage.
Stoday

Post by Stoday »

That 5.5% return is not only tax free, it's also indexed against RPI.

You can compare that with NS&I index linked bonds, which pay 1% tax free, index linked by adding RPI.

Of course, you have to have £20k to spare: no point in borrowing to invest, so there's nothing in it for poverty-stricken OAPs like Scruff. Just shows how right the bible's take on the law of accumulation of wealth is, "To he that hath shall be given and given in abundance and from he that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath".
I should be dead; I've cheated the Grim Reaper yet again by surviving my third heart attack in June.
Undo
BANNED

Post by Undo »

The biggest saving it to the environment, priceless!
thescruff

Post by thescruff »

Undo wrote:The biggest saving it to the environment, priceless!
Wrong :lol:

Everyone adding there bit is warming the cables and costing the producers big time in lost energy, meaning they have to produce more than would otherwise be needed.

The national grid are spending tens of millions installing cooling stations, to try and recover a percentage, of what is lost through cables heating.

Quite simply they don't want every tom, d*ck and harry adding their little bit.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

if you pay 10p a unit and your cells average say 1kw during daylight hours so about 14hrs a day so £1.40a day £9.80 a week £39 a month or £500 a year saved so pay back time around 40 years!!!
we are all ------------------still learning
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

:dunno: where's the OP gone...to tear up his credit agreement????
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
MikeGrahamT21
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by MikeGrahamT21 »

had a call from another company yesterday, evo energy. They sounded much more sensible, and said a 2.2kWp system on the most south facing side of the house would be the best investment, using sharp panels (40% cheaper than hybrid), with an investment of around £10k and a return of approx 10%. This sounds much more sensible.
Simon Site Manager

Post by Simon Site Manager »

We use Sharp panels on our Housing Association units (every house has PV units) through Solar Century. I have done 20 plots for circa £40K less fitting.

S
Measure twice, cut once!
thescruff

Post by thescruff »

MikeGrahamT21 wrote:had a call from another company yesterday, evo energy. They sounded much more sensible, and said a 2.2kWp system on the most south facing side of the house would be the best investment, using sharp panels (40% cheaper than hybrid), with an investment of around £10k and a return of approx 10%. This sounds much more sensible.
Agreed. :thumbright: Although I would still knock him down 20%.
Stoday

Post by Stoday »

big-all wrote:if you pay 10p a unit and your cells average say 1kw during daylight hours so about 14hrs a day so £1.40a day £9.80 a week £39 a month or £500 a year saved so pay back time around 40 years!!!
You've forgotten to add in the 41.3 p/kWh subsidy from other consumers, big-all. So your gain is 51.3p/kWh.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

Stoday wrote:
big-all wrote:if you pay 10p a unit and your cells average say 1kw during daylight hours so about 14hrs a day so £1.40a day £9.80 a week £39 a month or £500 a year saved so pay back time around 40 years!!!
You've forgotten to add in the 41.3 p/kWh subsidy from other consumers, big-all. So your gain is 51.3p/kWh.
more the point i was making was there will be few day when there will be excessive capacity to sell to the grid :dunno: :dunno:
we are all ------------------still learning
starterforone

Post by starterforone »

Hi EVERYONE.
I am quite late responding to this query as i have only just come across it and joined the forum.
Solar photo-voltaic systems are a really good way of generating your own electricity for your own use. the system module output is based on perfect conditions, i-e SOUTH FACING, FULL SUN, NO SHADING ISSUES, a module rated at 180kw will produce up to 180 kw in perfect conditions.
, i have had no dealings with the company you mentioned but am aware of a good company called solarsparks in the northeast. uk. but i fear some have been adding uninformed " expertise" on this subject. The new feed in tarriffs are only eligeable to a system if it is installed by a company registered or about to be registered with the M C S (microgenerationcertification scheme) not all systems require battery back up these are generally for remote systems in farms outbuildings etc, domestic systems are tied to the grid so as to offer the customer electriciity when the solar cells are not generating i e at night. (no batteries required,) all generated electricity is eligeable for the tarriff even the electricity used by the consumer.
The p v system does not need direct sunlight, only daylight, west facing will mean simply most generation is afternoon early evening and there is more chance of low to medium shading issues. 20500 pounds is a lot of money and especially for 4.5kw. hybrid cells or not. i would look elsewhere. and i would also consider ground source heat pumps, and underfloor heating . best o luck. ::b

Return to “Energy Saving”