ANT control, help & ideas?

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

gib_goblin

ANT control, help & ideas?

Post by gib_goblin »

We've just moved into an 1930's mid terrace 2 bedroom house.

It has new carpets ontop of floorboards, this morning we found a trail of Ants in the middle of the sitting room carpet. Leading back to the corner of the room and disapearing into the skirting, there is a slight gap where the old skitting has warped/shrunk, its only a couple of mm's.

We also have a 7 month old baby and really want to avoid using any kind of ant powder or poison if possible.

Has anyone got experience or ideas for getting rid of ants?
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

I'm no expert on ants I am afraid, but this might help-

http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/homepest/ants.htm
skiking
Has thanked: 0

Post by skiking »

Since we moved into our house (7 yrs ago) we have been plauged with ants in and around the kitchen. I've informed my missus that they are good and helpful around the house - as per the link you gave above UHM - but all I get back is 'get rid of the bloody things' :lol: - she doesn't like them.

Ants have a habit of using the same route. For me, and this has happened due to some internal structural work I've carried out, I've now blocked up the cracks between the floor and the wall either with cement or caulk.

I don't like using chemicals - got kids! so I have found sealing up the cracks is the best method. So far this year, inside I've been ant free. Outside is a different matter but I can live with that :shock:
moon133
Been thanked: 0

Post by moon133 »

Nippon Liquid is good (I know you said about the chemicals but...)

It a gel that comes in a tube. Put a couple od stripes on an old glazed tile (Not a blob, do strips to increase the edge area) and put the tile in the path of the Ants in the early evening (when they should be most active). You could put a small box on top with a few holes a floor level to let the ants in.

The idea is the ants take the gel and return it to the colony, killing the other ants importantly the queen. It's a lot less messy than finding the nest and applying powder stuff. Nippon also do Bait stations that could be perfect for your needs (It keeps the chemical away from little ones.)

Othewise, and Anteater, or Boiling water!
Mummy said I was special!
john59

Post by john59 »

get a pair of tweezers and pick each one up CAREFULLY, put them in a jar and post em to panlid
tim'll fix it
BANNED

Post by tim'll fix it »

nippon liquid is crap

you want ant powder
wf9

Post by wf9 »

I thoroughly reccomend squirting the poisonous ant powder into the cracks then sealing up the cracks, this way they will take the powder back to the nest and it will slowly desproy them and no-one gets the poison near the kids.

spam link removed by admin

Although a good tip if they're outside is to smoke them out, worked for me!! :thumbright:
Fats

Post by Fats »

Failing these methods you could always serve them with an eviction notice. :lol:
Wood Magnet

Post by Wood Magnet »

Size 9's work wonders. :thumbright:

Return to “General DIY forum”