Telephone interferance

Telecommunications, Broadband and networking questions in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

abi titmus
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Telephone interferance

Post by abi titmus »

Not sure if this should be posted in here or in the computer section but seems relevant in here-

My computer keeps disconnecting me from the internet and often it is very slow, I have several different dial up accounts which I can use as I thought this was the cause of the problem, however it has not made a difference.

I have had BT out to check my line and they say that it is fine :?

When I use the house phone it often crackles and has bad interference on the line, we have about three extensions in the house. We uscrewed the main socket thingy that BT supplies and removed the front and then plugged the phone directly into this, but the interference and crackling were still there!!!!!

Do any of you guys know who is responsible for the faulty line?

It can't be me can it ?

Thanks

Abi
markysparky
Electrician
Been thanked: 0

Post by markysparky »

Hi Abi,

Do you have broadband? and if so do you have any filters on any of your telephone points by any chance?

If not you should have one plugged into every point for both telephone and computer.

Did BT actually come to your house or did they test the phone line at the exchange?
markysparky
Electrician
Been thanked: 0

Re: Telephone interferance

Post by markysparky »

[quote=

Do any of you guys know who is responsible for the faulty line?

Abi[/quote]

BT are responsible up to the master telephone socket. That's what you pay your line rental for. You rent it you don't own it BT do. So any faults is their responsibility!
tim'll fix it
BANNED

Post by tim'll fix it »

I used to have a crackly line, and it was due to the incoming bt line.

I would disconnect all the extensions, if the crackle is still there then you know that it is on the incoming line, if this is the case then keep the extensions disconnected and get bt out again to prove to them the problem.

When I had it done, they performed a test on my line, over the phone, and proved that there was a problem. They then came and replaced the line from the mastersocket to the telegraph pole
Mudster
Tiling Expert

Post by Mudster »

I had a similar proiblem recently not long after I'd had SKY tv installed, it turned out the telephone connection to the SKY box hand't been pushed all the way home and it was causing crackling on the line.

Check all your extensions, unplugging them all will be the tell tale.
abi titmus
Newly registered Member

Post by abi titmus »

Thanks for all of the advice.

I will call BT and get them to test it asap, hopefully the matter will be resolved soon!

Thanks Abi
mr phone
Communications Expert

Post by mr phone »

Crackling is usually a sign of water / moisture on the line. If you have disconnected all extensions / equipment from the line and plugged a phone into the BT master socket (ie taking the faceplate off), it is almost definately BT.

Return to “communications and broadband”