Using a multimeter

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

DIY_Johnny
Mr. Grumpy

Using a multimeter

Post by DIY_Johnny »

Right from my post below on testing a live wire, I have dug out my old Multimeter (batteries still work - hasn't been used in 7 years at least!!!)

I have no clue how to use it to test a live wire and don't want to try until I run it past you guys.

It says in the instructions that it can measure AC current and Voltage but doesn't say which V what is for AC Voltage, similary with current

Any advice gratefully received!!
Attachments
Image 3 (Medium).JPG
Image 3 (Medium).JPG (35.94 KiB) Viewed 32201 times
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

I have labelled up what each section is for apart from the small area at the top right, I can't make out what that is.

To Measure mains voltage, place the black lead in the com socket and the red lead in the V/ Ohms socket.

Then turn the dial to point to AC volts 700 then you should be able to take a reading.

Extreme caution must be exercised when testing live wires and if possible it is best to test with the electricity switched off.

What exactly are you trying to test?
Attachments
image_3_medium_111.jpg
image_3_medium_111.jpg (70.21 KiB) Viewed 32190 times
deck
Has thanked: 0

Post by deck »

Live testing on something that not been used in seven years. Todays part p meters have to be checked and calabrated every year.
Buy something more up to date and more easy to understand. Theirs loads on the market for diy and pros alike
Deck
:walk:
Never eat yellow snow
DIY_Johnny
Mr. Grumpy

Post by DIY_Johnny »

Excellent cheers mate.

I was following on from scruffs comments in my previous post that the screwdriver volt meters are not great to use. I have busted it anyway!

I simply want to test if there is electricity flowing through a fused spur that you advised me on a week or so ago. The FCU is feeding undercabinet lightening in the kitchen and so comes from the sockets

Usually I turn off the electricity off at the mains when changing sockets but sometimes I can't see a thing so I leave the lighting circuit on and switch off the circuits from the sockets.

Where do i actually place the leads UHM

Deck,
just saw you post, given my simple requirement, do you think I can use this thing instead of a screwdriver volt meter?
DIY_Johnny
Mr. Grumpy

Post by DIY_Johnny »

Top part is like this, (not worried about it though)

Been p*ssing about testing batteries , numbers are begining to make sense, its just a scaling thing i assume
Attachments
Image (Small).jpg
Image (Small).jpg (25.79 KiB) Viewed 32176 times
deck

Post by deck »

Hi Newbiejohn
What is it you want to test in your kichen
Deck
Never eat yellow snow
DIY_Johnny
Mr. Grumpy

Post by DIY_Johnny »

more of a general comment on how to test for a live wire Dave so I don't electrocut myself :shock:

Just if the wire is live before I replace the light switch. I know it isn't but I like to give it a quick check in case I switch the circuit back on at the fuse box and it slips my mind to switch it back off
Mooncat

Post by Mooncat »

The section shown here is for testing transistors. You have to identify the type NPN or PNP, and the lead arrangement, plug it in and the meter will indicate the gain.
I started out with nothing, I still have most of it.

Directmail scam information site: http://astrocat.proboards.com/index.cgi?
deck

Post by deck »

Hi newbiejohn maybe what you require is a voltage stick a simple wand that glows when mains voltage present
Hope this helps
Deck :hello2:
Never eat yellow snow
thescruff

Post by thescruff »

deck wrote:Hi newbiejohn maybe what you require is a voltage stick a simple wand that glows when mains voltage present
Hope this helps
Deck :hello2:
Why he has a perfectly good multimeter. :?
sparkydude

Post by sparkydude »

a volt stick has its uses but not in this situation, the multimeter he has is perfectly useable but the only thing i would say is change the leads for a set of fused leads to protect yourself, i had a meter like that when i first started out doing DIY electrics and had no problems with it, But the leads were cheap and nasty and had long exposed tips about 10mm or more which were pretty dangerous when testing live terminals close to each other. Maplins sell a decent range of leads not to expensive either .

Nick
If it isnt broke dont bloody touch it until it bloody well is and if it is broke then make drawing of the connections before you remove the broken one and replace with a new one LoL
DIY_Johnny
Mr. Grumpy

Post by DIY_Johnny »

Thanks Nick, your right, never thought of that. the tips are about 3 inches long and bare. :shock:

So when testing to see if a wire is live, where do I place the tips?
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I must admit I have a Maplin Multimeter and I have not a bleeding clue how to use it. The instructions are shite. I wanted to test some wiring on my tractor but did not know how to set it up.

Perhaps we need a UHM vid to show us basics :thumbright:

DWD
sparkydude

Post by sparkydude »

To test if the terminals are live then you need to test between live and neutral then live and earth and then neutral and earth just to prove that all cores are dead.

Nick
If it isnt broke dont bloody touch it until it bloody well is and if it is broke then make drawing of the connections before you remove the broken one and replace with a new one LoL
DIY_Johnny
Mr. Grumpy

Post by DIY_Johnny »

Hello nick, so to be sure I have this right

1) Its Red lead on Live, black lead on Neutral, reading should be ~240V
2) Its Red lead on Live, black lead on Earth, reading should be ~240V
3) Its Red lead on earth, black lead on Neutral, reading should be ~0V

Have I understood this correctly?

Return to “Electric Forum UK”