Condensation/Damp on bedroom windows and sills

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

surj
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Condensation/Damp on bedroom windows and sills

Post by surj »

Hi All,

I've noticed that I get a fair bit of condensation on the windows in my 3 bed end terrace house bedrooms.

We have the heating on for 2-3 hours in the morning and then for longer in the evenings.

At the moment there are no vents/airbricks that I can see so I was thinking of installing a vent into the ceilings of the bedrooms that would go into the loft space.

We do open the windows to get some fresh air into the house on weekends but not so much on weekdays apart from after using the shower.

Would I be right in assuming that I need to remove some of the loft insulation directly above where I mount my vent? Also, would a louvre and flyscreen type vent be suitable for ceiling mounting?

EDIT: After reading another very similar thread, I thought I'd point out that we don't dry clothes indoors on radiators and other than the central heating, cooking, showering and the TV/PC, we don't generate massive amounts of heat. There's myself and my good wife living in the property.
surj
Newly registered Member

Post by surj »

Any ideas folks?
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

I would not vent into the loft space to be honest, but would try to eliminate the problem.

Is there an extractor in the room where the shower is?

Is there an extractor in the kitchen?

It might be worth trying to keep your central heating on 24/7 but on a much lower setting. I do this and never have any problems with condensation.
surj
Newly registered Member

Post by surj »

ultimatehandyman wrote:I would not vent into the loft space to be honest, but would try to eliminate the problem.

Is there an extractor in the room where the shower is?

Is there an extractor in the kitchen?

It might be worth trying to keep your central heating on 24/7 but on a much lower setting. I do this and never have any problems with condensation.
There are no extractors but it's not a problem in the bathroom as we leave the window open after use. It's the bedroom windows that we don't open too often as we want to retain the warmth after only having the heating on a few hours or so at a time.

I understand that you are saying I should eliminate the cause rather than treat the symptoms but are there are any other reasons why you would't vent into the loft space?

Would a dehumidifyer be suitable for my application?

Thanks
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

try ventilating for a couple off hours during the day
try thicker /lined curtains and make shure they are shut fully

definatly do not ventilate into the loft space you will finnish up with rotten roof timbers and moldy stuff as it can take several days to fully ventilate the loft space
we are all ------------------still learning
surj
Newly registered Member

Post by surj »

OK, thanks for making it clear for me, I appreciate it.
surj
Newly registered Member

Post by surj »

I've spoken to the missus and we're going to line the curtains next weekend as they also let a fair amount of light through in the mornings as much as anything....

Will update the thread as and when....

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”