Cold walls

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

pitza
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cold walls

Post by pitza »

Hi, My daughters bedroom which is very small has two outside walls which get very cold and so there is a big problem with condensation, are there any ways to warm up the inside walls, ventilation is hard because the bed has to be up against these two walls. Thanks. http://www.diyuniverse.com
vespa

Re: Cold walls

Post by vespa »

pitza wrote:Hi, My daughters bedroom which is very small has two outside walls which get very cold and so there is a big problem with condensation, are there any ways to warm up the inside walls, ventilation is hard because the bed has to be up against these two walls. Thanks.
I would batten out the walls, insulate then plasterboard and skim. Ventilation is important though, maybe a vent from above the door may help....

Outside walls are a problem to heat inolder houses but the above will do the trick.
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

Our front room is cold and so we lined the walls with polysterene, which is like wall paper, you then paper on top of the polysterene with normal wall paper.This means that the walls were better insulated.

Not sure if they still sell it or not :scratch:

I have also lined rooms with thermal plasterboard, but that is a bigger job.
paintpot
Newly registered Member

Post by paintpot »

The polysterene ultimatehandyman is refering to is called coteana, think thats how you spell it.
If you do use this you have to use ready made adsive, not normal wall paperpaste, such as lap, coldwater, or hotwater.
And as said can be paper,d efter after.
Linning paper ect, if you do use this, and onced fisined, feel the wall you,v use it on and you will feel the difference.
As for ventilatin, what about putting a air brick in and a plastic slidding vent on the inside.
Also if your getting condenstation running down the windows, use some plastic drinking cups and half fill with table salt, this will help and draw the condenstion from the window, and again if poss leave the window open slightly, but becarful if your daughter is young.
Finaly if poss, try and not have the bed to near the wall, this will not help with air flow, and may result in damp on the walls and the bed linnin, good luck.
If a job worth doing properly,do it yourself ?

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”