best timber for a rabbit hutch

Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

LUFC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

best timber for a rabbit hutch

Post by LUFC »

whats best timber to get for rabbit hutch coz am gonna make one at weekend for our lass. like the sides would have to be sheet but which is best I haventa clue
joiner_uk

Post by joiner_uk »

In construction, marine plywood is a specially treated plywood that is designed to resist rotting in a high-moisture environment. Marine plywood is frequently used in the construction of docks and boats.
LUFC

Post by LUFC »

does treated wood affect the rabbit in the cage though, ive been told it can be harmful?
jay81

Post by jay81 »

i made one last here using CLS timber lengths for the frame and then used shiplap cladding for the sides
i will try and post a picture of it when i have a couple of minutes
joiner_uk

Post by joiner_uk »

I do not have no clue what is harmful to a rabbit other than ferrets
Bludall
Forum Chatterbox

Post by Bludall »

LUFC

You don't make pet houses with CCA treated wood because it has chromium, copper and arsenic in it which is not good for bunnies, the little devils chew everything. Marine ply just has a special waterproof glue in it.
Failure means you just didn't get it right yet!
Louise
Mooncat

Post by Mooncat »

Whatever you use, the little blighters will chew it. Cast iron might stop 'em though! :-)

I kept mine in wire mesh cages within a wooden box they couldn't get at. As they have to keep their incisors under control, you may have to give them something tasty to bite so they leave the hutch alone. Any ideas?
I started out with nothing, I still have most of it.

Directmail scam information site: http://astrocat.proboards.com/index.cgi?
fin

Post by fin »

i made a rabbit hutch for my gcse woodwork project about 13 years ago. i had 3d mortice and tennon joints to make up the frame work then just used normal ply to make it up. i used non pet harmfull wood preservative. it ended up in a skip about 3 years ago lol.

i would say that shiplap cladding would probably be fine and look nicer. but make sure its well treated with the corect wood preservative
Telmay

Post by Telmay »

Marine ply is good as it poison them and deals with their corrosive wee quite well. Used to have rabbits that learned to use a litter tray. My old man years ago used to bread them and made a massive multi story hutch out of ply - worked a treat.

Just make sure its fox proof - which is easier said then done!
"Where would we be without rules?
France! And where would we be with too many rules? Germany!"
jane28
Newly registered Member

Post by jane28 »

Having had rabbits all my life i can advise that your bog standard wood from your local diy shop will be fine (tongue and groove is better)...
You can get waterproof paint for the outside that is not harmful to pets and also stainer on the inside that is not harmful (it iwll say on the tin)...

WIth regards to them chewing everything, they will only tend to chew if you dont give them anything else to chew... Give them a cardboard box to play with, some apple branches are great, straw tunnels etc...

Also due to welfare guidelines they reccommend rabbits need a 6ft wide hutch (with a run attached) to be able to live a nice life...
I would not reccommend to have your rabbits living on wire as it is not comfortable for them but if you want to save the floor of your hutch then lino is great and if you dont want them chewing the wood supports then pop some wire over those bits only and they wont chew them (dont put wire everywhere!)

Failing that get them a second hand wendyhouse like i did!
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

I made this one from marine ply-

Rabbits will chew anything they can get their teeth around, they love electrical cables and can bite right through one in less than a second.

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”