Tiling questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

Arandora
Founder Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Painting over tiles

Post by Arandora »

I'm thinking of painting over some old white tiles. Because they are in a kitchen they are full of old grease and grime. Two questions:
1. What is best for cleaning off tiles prior to painting?
2. What is best type of paint?
I was looking at some in Focus specifically made for painting over tiles but when I asked the assistant about how effective it is, he said it was a waste of time. He and others had tried it and after very short time, it came off. A painter & decorator friend recommended ordinary matt emulsion.
Anyone any experience of most effective method? :o :?:
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Painting over tiles

Post by ultimatehandyman »

Hi Arandora,

The tiles are best cleaned with a kitchen scourer and some sugar soap, they then need to be left until they are completely dry.

As tiles are so shiny they need keying to enable the paint to stick, this can be acheived by sanding lightly with 200 grade sandpaper but it causes a lot of tile dust, which you do not want!

Tile primers are probably a better alternative and easier to use,Here is some tile primer -tile primer

The tile primer should be applied and then left for as long as possible, preferably 24 hours, then a light sanding another good clean of the tiles before painting!

A small gloss roller is ideal for painting tiles as you do not get any brush marks with a roller, be sure to roll in all directions, not just up and down. Two thin coars are better than one thick coat!

Follow the manufacturers instructions for the tile paint, some require 6 hours between coats!

A friend I know painted her tiles with two coats of normal white undercoat and a top coat of liquid gloss, they look fine and have been ok for the last 2 years, whether they will last or begin to peel, I do not know?

Good luck

Return to “Tiling Forum”