Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

Happyhammer7
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Accidentally used silk based paint for mist coat

Post by Happyhammer7 »

Hi all,

First post here. To give you an overview of the situation, I had a room replastered 6 months or so ago. I purchased some silk based contract emulsion from Leyland,that stated it was for plaster.

I found out after that using silk based paint was a no no as the paint does not absorb in the plaster and Matt should have been used.

I debated whether to strip it then but it seemed ok so I proceeded with the final coats. However, after the paint started peeling in massive strips so I have now stripped back to the bare plaster to start again.

I will not be using silk again but my plan is to use some new plaster trade paint for the mist coat, diluted by 10% from the manufacturer. I will then use trade matt paint from dulux for the final coats. I am looking to do one mist coat and 2 final coats.

The walls are slightly dusty so would it be best to use a brush to remove the dust rather than sugar soap?

Some harsh lessons learned so far but I want to make sure I get it right before tackling this again

Many thanks

Paul
Tom d'Angler

Post by Tom d'Angler »

:welcomeuhm:
Happyhammer7 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:33 pm my plan is to use some new plaster trade paint for the mist coat
When mist-coating new plaster I always use a standard contract matt rather than anything that specifically says it is for new plaster, so I can't say how the "for new plaster" paints work as a mist coat. For a while I have been using "Wickes Trade Contract Matt Emulsion" and it seems to do the job as expected.
Happyhammer7 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:33 pm I will then use trade matt paint from dulux for the final coats.
I'm a big fan of Dulux Trade. Other decorators aren't. I guess it comes down to personal taste and what we get used to using every day.
Happyhammer7 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:33 pm I am looking to do one mist coat and 2 final coats.
:thumbleft:
Happyhammer7 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:33 pm The walls are slightly dusty so would it be best to use a brush to remove the dust rather than sugar soap?
To remove any dust, I wipe all new plaster with a slightly damp mop, one of those sponge mops that you can wring out quite tightly (Mrs d'A tells me it's called a "butterfly" mop) so it is only just damp and I rinse it regularly in a bucket of water.
Happyhammer7 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:33 pm Some harsh lessons learned so far
That's the best way to learn!
Happyhammer7
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by Happyhammer7 »

Much appreciated Tom. Its been a journey put it that way.

Nearly finished re-prepping the surface for painting. Whilst most of the silk came off in strips, there were some annoying bits that i had to use a heavy duty scraper for. Had to really take my time with this to avoid gauging the plaster but only a few little nicks, which I will patch up after the mist coat.

Great tip regarding the mop but I ended up using about 10 cleaning cloths, a dust brush and a hoover.

Your idea sounds better though :lol:
These users thanked the author Happyhammer7 for the post:
Tom d'Angler (Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:17 am)
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”