plumbing, drainage and waste water questions here please

Moderator: Moderators

Tlogic2016
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Wetroom Shower or Porcelain shower tray

Post by Tlogic2016 »

Hi Guys,

I could really do with some help or idea for my bathroom. My builder IS booked in for the 10th July to start my bathroom but I can't decide if I should go with a
Wetroom shower in the shower area of my bathroom (to replace my existing bathtub) or put a porcelain shower tray down instead. The size of my shower area is 1700mm x 800mm which is the same size as my current bath.

I have a few questions if you don't mind commenting on... :dunno:

Are Wetroom showers troublesome in the long term or shall I install a Porcelain shower tray instead?

If I got with a wetroom system I was thinking of installing a schluter kerdi shower tray, have anyone installed this type of system before or would you recommend another system?

Cheers
aeromech3

Post by aeromech3 »

Have just replaced my bath with a Stone resin shower tray, 3 notes: many trays on the market did not have the drain in this position for this size tray, it weighed about 35kg and needed 2 persons with suction cups to lower it onto the cement based adhesive bedding, the 1st unit sent me was bowed and the screen would not have fitted nicely on it (screen not fitted yet).
I chose to have it raised 150mm due the original waste connection from the bath was on the right of picture and waste outlet on left furthest corner; the bedding is on OSB3 with 3 side wall supports and ten plastic adjustable legs, there is an elongated hole in the OSB for the fast flow waste trap to 40mm pipes, everything was silicone sealed prior to tiling. On reflection, perhaps the longer section of tile should have started from the tray but I was more concerned with leveling with the existing freize.
I can still access the underside of the OSB to maintain / change the trap if necessary.
Attachments
ShowerTrayPic1.jpeg
ShowerTrayPic1.jpeg (86.24 KiB) Viewed 970 times
These users thanked the author aeromech3 for the post:
Tlogic2016 (Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:41 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Nos

Post by Nos »

We have gone for the full wetroom floor, the DW is disabled so a small step is a challenge, so flat floor, non slip tiles 200€ m2 :shock: just make sure it is "Tanked" correctly, we find it very easy to use and clean, can recommend.
These users thanked the author Nos for the post:
Tlogic2016 (Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:41 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Tlogic2016
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by Tlogic2016 »

Thank you both for your posts :thumbright:

After some research I've decided to go with a Schluter Shower System, which is a preformed tillable shower tray.
I just hope I've made the right the decision.

Thanks.

Return to “Plumbing Forum”