musty smell in gas elec understairs cuboard' concrete floor

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

hooly

Post by hooly »

there is a very dry concrete floor were gas elec boxes are' its been like it since moving in 5 yrs' i never took much notice till now' ive emptied the cupboard cleaned out' bit of bleach and left some baking soda in a bowl

would pva seal the floor? or any ideas' its more a musty smell

cheers
Attachments
15913780744895752603005873614427.jpg
15913780744895752603005873614427.jpg (148.99 KiB) Viewed 4005 times
Surveyorman
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by Surveyorman »

The musty smell your are referring to is more than likely associated moisture laden air being trapped in this area. Before you consider "sealing" the floor with anything let's establish a few things if possible - How old is the house we are talking about here? Are all the floors concrete like this or is this an infill in the under stair cupboard area only?
hooly

Post by hooly »

prob 50 yrs if not bit more' all concrete floors yes' that is slightly raised to the hallway floor
hooly

Post by hooly »

i used to think it was just a dusty floor' then had a cardboad box of books in there' thats when noticed more' its a cold floor'
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

What ventilation is there?
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
hooly

Post by hooly »

none' it very rarely opens' sometimes weeks on end
Surveyorman
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by Surveyorman »

As Someone-Else might be driving towards, I would look to creating some ventilation to the under stair cupboard area. The musty smell that you are noticing is more than likely trapped moisture laden air that causes condensation to form in this area. The fact that you have noticed that the floor is a “cold spot” would mean that moisture laden air will be attracted to this space as moisture particles move from areas of high pressure to low pressure. When the moisture laden air gets to the cold floor it cannot hold its moisture particles any longer as the temperature of the air begins to drop below what is known as the Dew Point. This is the temperature at which condensation is formed. I have seen good results from air bricks being installed if your cupboard is on an external wall. If not, consider creating a vent in the cupboard door. It sounds as though this area may also benefit from an increase in heating. I wouldn’t use any sealant on the floor as this will probably just make the floor appear wet when condensation occurs. Think about ventilation and heating.
hooly

Post by hooly »

ok cheers' ive never seen any damp condensation' ive stored things all been ok' bar noticed a smell on the cardboard box' i will look towards getting a new door with the slats in or similer' a rad is opp but wont be on for a while now' it does seem as the smell is on the concrete' so maybe leave open for a few days' then get a new door' when things get back to norm cheers

it is a outside wall' air brick in the cuboard next to it' which is ok

but may be cheaper for the door'

cheers
hooly

Post by hooly »

just thinking there is a passageway with next doors house attached as the roof of the passage way, there is water tap n water meter, also a few cracks about 5 10 mill and the damp course is about 2 bricks to a brick and half over, sometimes the concrete outside seems damp, ive yorkshire water coming to check for any leaks,

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”