Plasterboard Corner Bead Kinked

Plastering questions and answers here please

Moderator: Moderators

mrsparks

Post by mrsparks »

Wasn't sure where to post this question, but it's sort of plastering related so here goes. On the vertical edge of the reveal inside our front door, there was a kink about half way up. It's been there since we bought the house. It's hard to imagine what caused it - maybe moving heavy furniture through the doorway and giving it a good whack or something? Anyway, it was obvious the beading was damaged - I could press it in on one side and it would pop out slightly lower on the other side. The walls are plasterboard, covered with lining paper and emulsioned. I've cut away a section of the lining paper to see what's going on - photo attached. The bead is paper faced metal and it's split down the middle, almost like it's been compressed lengthwise and it's found the weakest spot and popped out. Since I took the photo, I've managed to slit the metal on both sides, so I could possibly make them go back flush. Trouble is, they've been bent so long that they still want to spring back out. Any suggestions on the best way forward? Could I use some sort of adhesive to re-attach them to the plasterboard? Obviously I'll be eventually wanting to stick the lining paper back.
Bent Corner Bead.JPG
Bent Corner Bead.JPG (32.72 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
London mike 61

Post by London mike 61 »

It looks like a plasterboard box around some pipes so the easiest way forward is to cut away the lining paper up to the two internal corners and take away the existing corner bead from top to bottom because I doubt you could get away with a bodge job covering up the bead as it is.
Cut a new bead to length https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Thin-Co ... 9000036435 and secure it in place with dabs of filler or a staple gun if you have one. You can feather out the bead with more filler once the bead has been firmly fixed then put lining paper over the finished corner.

Mike
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
mrsparks

Post by mrsparks »

Thanks for that. I'll have to have a think to see if I'm brave enough to go that far. I was hoping I'd be able to get away with either gluing the metal bits down, having cut away a piece so that they'd sit tidily, or just cutting out the metal strips from that exposed section completely and tidying up the edge (maybe using tape of some sort, or even a small piece of bead, say 6 inches). What you suggest is no doubt the proper fix though.
London mike 61

Post by London mike 61 »

If you really want to go Down that route then buy a tube of grab adhesive https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense- ... 10ml/87451 and use some strong tape to hold it in place while the adhesive goes off.
If you use gaffer tape then be aware that unless you can use cut down thinner strips, it may peel away the top layer of paper on the plasterboard when you come to take it off.

Mike
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
mrsparks

Post by mrsparks »

OK, cheers. A good project for a filthy wet Saturday.

Return to “Plastering Forum”