Mouldy Bathroom Ceiling - Bought Too Many Products!

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

Jeemy
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jeemy »

Hi,

I hope somebody can advise me how to continue this project I've started.

The bathroom has no windows, its our ensuite.

I'm refurbishing said bathroom, which was starting to get really bad black mould on the white plasterboard ceiling and cornices. In addition the paint was flaking off the walls & cornices from damp and there are a few cracks in the plasterboard paper (?) covering.

So I got some advice from old threads and took everything off the walls - mirrors, cupboards etc, so I could ensure any hidden mould was treated, and washed the whole lot down.

I then treated it with HG Mould Spray, leaving it overnight, washing it all down hot, then drying it for a day. I sanded all the bad paint, then used the mould spray again, treating again for 30 minutes and washing it down hot.

Then I cut all my holes in the ceiling, fitted a much better extractor fan with a timer (previous one barely extracted and only worked with the lights on) and left it for a week. We haven't used it to shower, but nothing appears to be growing back so I am pretty sure I'm just left with discoloration.

The trouble is I've bought so much stuff, I'm not sure in what order to apply it.

Here's what I've got:

Zinsser Gardz primer/sealer - actually bought to treat the areas behind the radiators where they were clearly used to dry clothes all over the house by the previous occupiers. But I have it if its useful for this.

Ronseal White Anti-Mould paint - to do what it says on the tin.

Everbuild Filler Coat - to cover all the flaking paint and hopefully give a smoother surface.

Dulux white emulsion - again not really for this project, but I have it.

So my gut instinct is to paint the anti-mould paint on first, then use the filler coat, then finish with white emulsion or the Ronseal again.

Does anybody have any advice as to what order I should put all of this on to ensure the best longevity?

I need to paint the ceilings, cornices and walls down to the tiles which are tits-high, and all of them need a bit of filler to smooth them. I do have some Polyfilla also.

Thanks in advance!

Jeemy
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Use an anti mould paint in the colour you want the walls to be. Painting over the anti mould will defeat the purpose as the mould grows on the surface. You also want it to be a stain/silk finish, matt paint is difficult to clean and mould can get a hold better.

In the future, wipe down any mouldy areas as soon as you spot them with some neat thin bleach on a paper towel, the longer you leave it the more it spreads and damages the surface.
When we first moved into this flat we had terrible problems with mould. I painted all problem areas with suitable paints, bought a dehumidifier and now we have hardly any trouble at all. Every couple of weeks I go around checking the problem areas (only in the colder months) and clean them up as I said before. Takes me all of 10 minutes and keeps us mould free.
Jeemy
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jeemy »

OK but what about the patchy surfaces? I need to deal with those; the peeling paint and plasterboard covering.

Should I paint with the filler coat first, then finish with the anti-mould paint?

This is why I thought maybe anti mould > filler > antimould or emulsion.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Just fill/repair it and then finish with paint.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”