Faulty timer?

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

Grendel

Faulty timer?

Post by Grendel »

It would be interesting but i'm buggered if i'm going to suggest it . It's working and i'm happy with that. To be honest it's very confusing . The switches are identical or at least both the same make and visually identical and likewise the bulbs look to be the same.
Dave54

Faulty timer?

Post by Dave54 »

Grendel wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:22 pm It would be interesting but i'm buggered if i'm going to suggest it . It's working and i'm happy with that. To be honest it's very confusing . The switches are identical or at least both the same make and visually identical and likewise the bulbs look to be the same.
:lol:
I nearly put "I wouldn't suggest it though" but I assumed you wouldn't!
It's back to the tolerance thing at a guess.
Electronic components are all a little bit different electrically.
Resistors for example have different tolerances
So a 1000 ohm resistor could be 950 to 1050 ohms at 5%
Or 990 to 1010 at 1%
You pay more for the lower tolerance. Manufacturers use the cheapest they can get away with, that'll work within their specs.
So if you're pushing what a piece of kit will actually do, outside the manufacturers specs one might work and one not.
Not saying it's exactly that, but it gives some idea.
Grendel

Faulty timer?

Post by Grendel »

Right at the start of this thread someone-else said he hated stuff supplied by the customer. Yesterday i went to do a few jobs for a different customer . One was changing a ceiling light which was fine then he said "while you're here can you put up a smoke alarm?" . Turns out he'd got a heat alarm that needed to be hardwired on it's own circuit . I politely explained the limitations of what i'm allowed to do and told him his best option would be a simple battery powered smoke alarm .

Return to “Electric Forum UK”