Starting a job as a painter?

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

JimmyW
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by JimmyW »

Hello, i am young and i am looking for a job to learn and earn with not too much heavy liftings, i am not good at art
Do you think painting & decorating is for me?
How much time i need to be considered experienced?
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Too much heavy lifting? How do you suppose all the furniture gets out of the way? how does the paint get into the property, how do you get up high safely?

I am NOT a P&D person, but often been in the same boat, you tell the customer you need access to the whole room and when you get there, all the furniture is pushed to the sides, it needs to be out of the room, so who ends up moving it? You do.

How are you going to get above standing height? you need access equipment, not just a pair of steps, who is going to carry that into the house? You (Ok some kit is lighter than others)

Who is going to carry the paint into the house? rolling it along will not really be a good idea.

In any manual job there will always be heavy lifting at some time or other
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Do not fall into the trap of thinking 'if I can p*ss I can paint' as it is a skill like any trade. You really have to understand the chemistry of modern paints to use the correct paint for each job depending on what you are doing. Preparation, paint selection, application methods etc. There is a lot to learn in order to know how to tackle a job quickly and efficiently providing a professional finish.

The best advice is to ignore these training courses advertised as they are rubbish in the main. See if you can find a painter and decorator who will take you on and teach you in return for a low wage whist you train.

And as SE says, there is a load of humping at some point

Good luck

DWD
elenagilbert
Newly registered Member

Post by elenagilbert »

Painting and decorating is a fun and you will perform it better if you enjoy doing so. You can start from a part time job under an experienced painter.You will get to learn alot.
Desmondo15

Post by Desmondo15 »

Make no mistake this is a highly skilled job where short cuts will see you fail.

If it's done properly it takes ages and most people either don't want to pay for that or time scale is an issue (not all).

The general thought pattern is that you can just put paint on the wall and be done - well that's half of it.

You won't get rich unless your highly entrepreneurial and if that's the case get into something else. Try blogging or making you tube videos where people are making tonnes of dollar for doing very little.

Technology/software/IT not so much lifting :lol:

Then again it could be the perfect job for you to journey into and live a comfortable life.

No offence to people who enjoy it daily and create great work - I admire you all.

I've just decided to stop outsides cos I don't trust the paint systems and the random weather patterns p@ss me off not to mention access, windows and doors that can't be shut.....or stick....

Would someone please give this guy some positivity as I've failed :cb
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Desmondo15 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:16 am Would someone please give this guy some positivity as I've failed :cb
Apprenticeship but elsewhere on this site he posted the same question about becoming a plasterer. So it is not about suggesting plastering or painting or something else. He needs to go out and about and see what trade he thinks he likes, and then if he is willing to do some studying for joiner, electrician, plumber and so on.

PS. If you have an office job you need a fecking good chair or your asre will hurt ::b
Tom d'Angler

Post by Tom d'Angler »

OchAye wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:39 pm elsewhere on this site he posted the same question about becoming a plasterer.
I can't take the poster seriously after reading some of his/her posts.
elenagilbert
Newly registered Member

Post by elenagilbert »

Tom d'Angler wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:53 am
OchAye wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:39 pm elsewhere on this site he posted the same question about becoming a plasterer.
I can't take the poster seriously after reading some of his/her posts.
Yes, you are correct. Either I have read the same post asking about a different profession.
elenagilbert
Newly registered Member

Post by elenagilbert »

Just Ignore his posts.
dynamod
Elephant Man

Post by dynamod »

Ah, the "I can do joined-up writing, so can I be a painter" post surfaces again. :sad:

OP must be on a major wind-up methinks.
Nihil expectore in omnibus
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

dynamod wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:45 amOP must be on a major wind-up methinks.
Why? some people really believe that it is possible to become a (insert profession here) by going on a 6 week course
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
dynamod
Elephant Man

Post by dynamod »

:lol: :lol:

And a guy who works down the chip shop swears he's Elvis too :mrgreen:
Nihil expectore in omnibus
ahfix

Post by ahfix »

Give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

Some folks genuinely have had no career guidance in their life and no one to ask, something I have experienced myself. At least he/she is thinking about finding a career path and becoming self-sufficient. Some folks lay in bed all day and feel entitled to be on £200/day from day 1 and without making any effort.

ah
These users thanked the author ahfix for the post:
ayjay (Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:14 am)
Rating: 7.14%
JimmyW
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by JimmyW »

I worked for a period in affiliate marketing, but is boring to stay all day long in front of pc , i am thinking to combine marketing skills that i know with something offline , i like to be part of a team and to see the how the bussiness growing up like kid.
Tom d'Angler

Post by Tom d'Angler »

JimmyW wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:27 am Do you think painting & decorating is for me?
No because you want "not too much heavy liftings", and because most of what you say makes no sense. :lol:

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”