leyland water based satin.

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

ROBERT DONAT
Newly registered Member

Post by ROBERT DONAT »

Hi All
I could really use a little help, please.
I just started using the Leyland trade water-based satin, but I am having a few issues.

I am painting the skirts and door frames, but I am finding that the brush ( hamilton trade) is clogging up very quickly, and leaving really thick brush marks.
The skirts and frames have all been undercoated & rubbed down, but it is not going on very well.

any help gratefully accepted..... :dunno:

Rob
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Don't know the particular brush or paint but ... that is a synthetic brush yes (does not have black bristles)?

- crown trade (paints) recommend(ed) that you wet the brush before you start. Dip it in water, make sure all filaments are wet and then shake off excess water. You may have to wash the brush many times through the day (every hour or two?)
- keep the house as cool as possible from before you start painting
- I would use a paint kettle and only have a little of the paint there so you don't have the whole container drying up.

Other than the above, to avoid brush marks don't waste time when painting and fidgeting with small things, do not go back where you painted even if it is 5 minutes since you went over an area, if you must you can prewet the surface with a damp sponge or cloth but you should not need that for skirtings and door frames.

If it helps a little.
ROBERT DONAT
Newly registered Member

Post by ROBERT DONAT »

Many thanks for the reply OchAye.

have purchased a new paint kettle, and will do as above the next time I paint the skirts. Which will be this weekend.
Hopefully, it will go on a little better...

Regards Rob.
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Synthetic brush every time with water based. also can help to dip the brush in water before starting and occasionally throughout the job to prevent dragging.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I've had the same issues (visible brush strokes) with Armstead quick dry satin. Literally the worst paint I've ever used. Tried all the tricks yet it gives a horrendous finish. Dries in seconds.

I knew I should have stuck with Johnstones aqua gloss.

Does anyone know whether I would be okay to use the Armstead quick dry primer / undercoat with Johnstones water based top coats? I can't see why not?
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Johnstones seems to stick to anything I have found. As long as it is clean and keyed it goes on fine. I had to paint over a small bit of glossed skirting and I could not be arsed to get the undercoat out so I rubbed it down with some wet and dry, dried it off with some kitchen paper and went straight on with Aqua gloss. It stuck all right and still looks good. I do not think you will have problem with the Amstrad.

DWD

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”