Do I have a floor problem

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

markmh
Newly registered Member

Post by markmh »

Hi

My wife’s been smelling mould for a while so we pulled up the carpet and found the underlay had yellowed around the tiles and gone onto carpet. Any ideas what could cause this. For info it’s a 1950s bungalow. We’ve lived here for just over 2 years.

I’m hoping it’s because of moisture in the air rather than damp coming through the floor. For around 3 months we’ve slept with the door closed to stop the cats jumping in my daughters crib we don’t do this now. Also the next room along is a bathroom which didn’t have any extraction up until this month so maybe all the moisture from that has caused this. There’s no problem anywhere else in the house and no sign of damp in the walls.

Thanks

Mark

toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Unusual for condensation, that tends to be on the walls behind furniture or in corners.

I think some Marley tile floors doubled up as a DPM being laid on bitumen adhesive so might be the case.
Be aware that thermoplastic tiles (Marley) contain asbestos so avoid damaging them unless you have to. They pose no risk while intact and sound so don't panic. :thumbleft: Worth checking with neighbours to see if they had problems and how they resolved it.

As they look flat and sound I doubt your problem is red ash, but worth enquiring from the local council if it is a problem in your area to exclude it. Red ash was a locally sourced base material used in many solid floors which has a reaction after many years causing it to break down.

Someone on here may be able to suggest a suitable sealant if it is damp passing through.

One thing you can try which works on walls is to dry the area then tape a piece of clear plastic over the area leave it for a week of two and check back, if there is moisture underneath the plastic then it is damp rather than condensation in the room.
These users thanked the author toolbox for the post:
APDIY (Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:37 am)
Rating: 7.14%
markmh
Newly registered Member

Post by markmh »

hi

thanks for your reply. i live in stafford, red ash was used alot consequently a red ash test is done (or should be done) as matter of course. It passed. ive checked on the construction of the bungalow which was 1968. i believe DPMs were put in the regs in 1965 so im hoping the builder used on in the concrete floor.

ive googled marley tiles and they look like mine. the concrete seems to be in a ok condition which im guessing may not be the case if it was damp coming up through the floor.

there is a little bit of black mold in the top left hand corner of the room. ive got 2 moisture traps in the room which are maybe a quarter full after 4-5 weeks.

to provide a bit of history to the problem. when we first moved in and we kept the bedroom door shut to prevent the cats getting in my daughters crib we woke up most mornings to find pools of water on the ceiling and the entire window covered in condensation and pools on the window cills.

after a lot of googling i noticed that the tiles on the roof were V shaped and the V was filled in some places and not others so i filled them around the edge of the roof and the problem with the pools of water on the ceiling stopped. im guessing that the cold air coming in was making the ceiling cold so moisture was condensing here.

my point is that for 3-4 months there was alot of moisture in the room. we had to bin a divan bed due to mold in the frame.

i will try the plastic taped to the floor idea and see what happens.

thanks

mark
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Fingers crossed them that a bit of a clean with anti mould and increased ventilation will sort it, opening a window at night will help an enormous amount in a bed room. People breath out about half a pint of water during a nights sleep so I have read. :-)
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Any weeps around the radiator pipes ? if not I'd just go with ventilate ventilate ventilate
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
markmh
Newly registered Member

Post by markmh »

hi no sign of anything coming from the radiator

i put the plastic sheet out with tape around it, no condensation was found, ive laid laminate over the floor no problems so far but its only bee na few weeks.

ive also got a small dehumidifier in the bedroom along with a unibond aero360 and 2 under bed moisture traps and im going to fit trickle vents to the windows. so hopefully wont have the same issues in the future.

also might unblock the external air vents which have all been siliconed

thanks for all the replies.
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

:thumbright:

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”