Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

missbuilding1978
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Trade Diamond Dulux paint drying way to quickly

Post by missbuilding1978 »

Hi all, started using the diamond range from Dulux yesterday, hot day, add around 7% of water added to help consistency. It was quite smooth anyway, though, thought add some water would help. Though as soon as roll paint on walls and final lap the wet edges 3 mins later, literally the paint is coming off and on to the roller.

Painting over a 5 year old painted emulsion wall. Never had a painting problem like this before.

I brought the diamond range for durability though, for some reason its just giving me problems.

Have you guys worked with this product, if so, what should I do ? To prevent this from happening. I stopped painting and sanded the areas, ready to go again but hesitant before I start want to get it right.

Should I add more water, dulux guide states a max of 20% water can be added without effecting the durability chemistry. Additionally, I have floetroel though, unsure weather to use this ? Its white so I thought it may change the pigment colour of my paint.

Please help everyone, I am also keeping my house cool too.

Thanks
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

missbuilding1978 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:56 am Though as soon as roll paint on walls and final lap the wet edges 3 mins later, literally the paint is coming off and on to the roller.
I don't understand what you are doing with the paint 3 minutes later, you should not be there. But that does not answer the problem you got. Just to clarify, it is the new paint that comes off and not the old layer of paint, yes?
I brought the diamond range for durability though, for some reason its just giving me problems.
I have never used the Dulux stuff, but acrylic washable etc. paints tend to be thicker.
I stopped painting and sanded the areas, ready to go again but hesitant before I start want to get it right.
Make sure you feather the edges where the paint has come off.
Should I add more water, dulux guide states a max of 20% water can be added without effecting the durability chemistry. Additionally, I have floetroel though, unsure weather to use this ? Its white so I thought it may change the pigment colour of my paint.
Assuming it is just the new paint that lifts off, it sounds that you have a rather porous surface and the water is absorbed too quickly from the paint (add the heat etc). It is as if you must thin the paint to the maximum 20% for the first coat, and use it slightly thinned (5-7% if that is what it takes) for the second coat. In effect do a mist coat. It might help if you were to wash down with sugar soap and rinse well afterwards the walls, who knows what will come off, dust and/or even the previous paint.

If you rub with a wet cloth the previous paint does it come off on the cloth?

EDIT. Failing everything else, apply Zinsser Gardz (note to self, buy shares in Zinsser), that will seal the surface better than anything else.
missbuilding1978
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by missbuilding1978 »

OchAye wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:21 am
missbuilding1978 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:56 am Though as soon as roll paint on walls and final lap the wet edges 3 mins later, literally the paint is coming off and on to the roller.
I don't understand what you are doing with the paint 3 minutes later, you should not be there. But that does not answer the problem you got. Just to clarify, it is the new paint that comes off and not the old layer of paint, yes?
I have never used the Dulux stuff, but acrylic washable etc. paints tend to be thicker.
I stopped painting and sanded the areas, ready to go again but hesitant before I start want to get it right.
Make sure you feather the edges where the paint has come off.
Assuming it is just the new paint that lifts off, it sounds that you have a rather porous surface and the water is absorbed too quickly from the paint (add the heat etc). It is as if you must thin the paint to the maximum 20% for the first coat, and use it slightly thinned (5-7% if that is what it takes) for the second coat. In effect do a mist coat. It might help if you were to wash down with sugar soap and rinse well afterwards the walls, who knows what will come off, dust and/or even the previous paint.

If you rub with a wet cloth the previous paint does it come off on the cloth?

EDIT. Failing everything else, apply Zinsser Gardz (note to self, buy shares in Zinsser), that will seal the surface better than anything else.
@OchAye Many thanks for your response, what i meant by 3 mins later is that before you have finished painting your first wall to the next you have to just final lap your wall so there is a straight edge so the finish is good without showing any lines. And yes this is the new paint that i have literally rolled on, dries so quickly that it rolls off when i do my final lap. From starting 1 wall and finishing with a lap takes between 3 or 5 mins on an average wall 2.8 x 2.4m so yes within that 3-5 min application the paint dries so quickly that it rolls off on the 5th minute.

Yes its an acrylic based durable paint with other properties which makes it thicker and durable, and yes i have feathered the edges so i can redo this again, i haven't attempted just yet. Regarding the porous surface, this is a wall which was plastered many years ago and paint with standard emulsion paint, it was mist coated at the time 10 years ago and 2 coats of emulsion paint, i would have not thought the wall would still be porous as it has been paint over with different colours a few times throughout the years, though if all else fails then yes i will apply the Gardz zinger that you recommended. Many thanks @OchAye for your response, final question have you ever tried using a paint extender or a product like Floetrol it gives acrylics/water based paints that extra time to achieve a good finish wet edge and doesn't dry as quick in hot weather.

Thanks again for your response.
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

missbuilding1978 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:38 pm Many thanks @OchAye for your response, final question have you ever tried using a paint extender or a product like Floetrol it gives acrylics/water based paints that extra time to achieve a good finish wet edge and doesn't dry as quick in hot weather.
I have not used any additives. Sorry.
gc1967

Post by gc1967 »

I am not keen on the Dulux diamond matt, its like glue and dries far too quickly, when required I use Crown clean extreme beautiful paint to use and cheaper.
Puma

Post by Puma »

If you don't thin you might have better luck as it will go on more thickly. Normally with emulsion - yes paint a wall and go over the whole lot to even it out just after you have finished can be a good idea on occasion, but avoid doing that with this paint. If you still have problems propolyene glycol is a good thinner- slightly oily and slow to dry.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”