Prepping walls, peelstop gardz or something else

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

sx_turbo

Post by sx_turbo »

I have 2 sections to my living room, the original section is just dot and dab plasterboard the new sextio. Is solid plaster walls.

I've just removed all the lining paper and there is peeling Paint everywhere.

The old section I am going to have a plaster skim, the new section as there are a lot of cracks In The wall and peeling Paint I am planning on just lining again.

I will let the plasterer sort the old bit out. But the new biti know I need to seal the flaky Pai t and the wallpaper paste.

Do I use peelstop or gardz?

I've recently lost faith in zinsser products, is there any alternative to these?
sx_turbo

Post by sx_turbo »

:sad:
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

There are no magic solution that can solve problems. You should scrape off the peeling paint, i.e. elbow grease. Then check out sizing using wall paper paste ... I am not into wallpapering so I cannot offer any advice.
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

See what google brought viewtopic.php?t=30928&start= Read the penultimate post by paintycait, She explains sizing.
sx_turbo

Post by sx_turbo »

OchAye wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:03 am There are no magic solution that can solve problems. You should scrape off the peeling paint, i.e. elbow grease. Then check out sizing using wall paper paste ... I am not into wallpapering so I cannot offer any advice.
Thanks, I've scraped the loose paint, then come back down the next day and there is more peeling against the edges I've scraped the night before so the plan is to scrape and then seal. And then Lining paper.

Trust me there is plenty of elbow grease going on
sx_turbo

Post by sx_turbo »

I've ended up scraping the walls, sanding them down and filling with toupret rough wall repair paste, sanding and more filling. The walls are now almost perfect.

So rather than spend more money on zinsser stuff that likely won't work I've decided I'm just gonna plaster the walls with wallpaper paste to size all the filler, then line the walls.

I've got no intention of removing the lining paper over the next 10-15 years by which time me and the wife have decided we would like to knock some walls around downstairs and install steels etc to make the living space work better for us, so what state the walls are in behind it at the time isn't gonna matter
These users thanked the author sx_turbo for the post:
OchAye (Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:42 am)
Rating: 7.14%
sx_turbo

Post by sx_turbo »

Another little update,

It's all finished just gotta wait for the carpet and furniture to arrive.

I took a week off work to really crack on with it, I ended up working on the lounge pulling 16 hour days to ensure it was completed in this time. trying to do things 1 day a week which I was doing prior, just wasn't working meaning it was just taking far to long. (6 weeks prior to taking time off)

Sized the walls with wallpaper paste. This also helped identify further areas of loose paint not picked up in the scraping process.

With the lining paper fitted and painted you can't tell it's not been plastered, unless you look really really carefully.

Thanks all for your help.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”