davros123
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Help out a novice painting his front door

Post by davros123 »

IMG_20190629_162618.jpg
IMG_20190629_162618.jpg (384.65 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
Hi all.

I am stripping my front door back as I have never been happy with the finish and on a hot day there would be sap bubbling up through knots in the wood and the paint was flaking off.

I stripped it back with a hot air paint stripper. There was around 5 layers on there. I have then given it a really good sanding but there is still some paint (staining) on the door. (The bits in the picture between the wood fillets are gone now too) You certainly can't feel it when you run your hand over the door. Is this bare enough to start on or do I need to do something else?

I have some oil based undercoat and oil based paint. I assume I need to use an oil based primer?

Just to check the order I need to go is

Woodfiller
Knot oil
Primer
Undercoat
Top coat

Is that right?

Sorry for the basic questions.....as I said, novice!

Thanks
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Yes. For knotting oil look for knotting solution (it won't quite be oil). Consider if it is worth using your old undercoat and old paint, especially if they have formed a skin and are potentially full of bits and dirt. Also consider using an in between coats sand paper for very light sanding in between coats. Also remove all the dust either using tack cloths or a vacuum cleaner. Post a photo when done :-)
davros123
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by davros123 »

Ahh, when I say I have paint I mean new stuff ready to go! Shouldve made that clear.

So i just need to find an oil based wood primer? Any suggestions? Thanks for your help
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Ideally you should stick to the same brand as the undercoat and top coat. Alternatively anything you find :-) One coat of anything per day!!!!

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”