Should I keep going?

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

baker360360
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Should I keep going?

Post by baker360360 »

New Plastered walls done 2 mist coats with leylands trade contact matt white watered down, 2 top coats with Johnstone’s washable Matt:

Went to pick off a bit of grit during the 2nd coat, must have been in the 1st coat and I pulled the paint off. Tiny amount smaller than a pea. Question is when I done this the paint around the hole has stretched like rubber/elastic. Is this normal? Has this happened because the paint is still fresh or has it not bonded properly?

Done halve of the room before my late shift. Want to know if I need to do anything before I crack on with the rest of the room.
dewaltdisney

Should I keep going?

Post by dewaltdisney »

I take it you did nor mix PVA in your mist coat which is badly advised in some places? The elastic effect is strange though the Johnstones washable matt is thick and hard to get smooth and I was wondering was this a semi dried blob of paint?

DWD
baker360360
Newly registered Member

Should I keep going?

Post by baker360360 »

Did not mix pva in the mist coat. Yes looked like it may have been a dried bit of paint that I tried to remove.

Also forgot to mention that the paint that came away exposed the white mist coat underneath. So looks like that has adhered well.

I used a bit of masking tape in a few out of sight corners to test how well the paint is holding on and it’s pulling the paint up in all the places I test with the same stretchy result????

Weird
dewaltdisney

Should I keep going?

Post by dewaltdisney »

You have to give paints a while to properly dry these days so it could be that the surface is dry but it is still tacky underneath, and I am talking microns in paint layer here .

DWD
OchAye

Should I keep going?

Post by OchAye »

What was the dilution of the mistcoat (and the same question for the second mist coat)?
baker360360
Newly registered Member

Should I keep going?

Post by baker360360 »

Went with 60/40 paint/water but it was going on too thick I thought so added more water so it looked abit more transparent on the wall. It’s been a few days since my first wall and it looks and feels much better. Now I guess only time will tell if it peels off or bubbles when the mrs wipes any marks with a damp cloth
OchAye

Should I keep going?

Post by OchAye »

Too much water too little paint. I guess Leyland Contract Matt will say 10% maximum dilution, you probably got to 50%.

If you are unlucky, your two mist coats have not worked, and your first top coat lost too much water by absorption into the plaster.
If you are lucky - and I think you might be - when you were painting the second top coat the first had not cured (or even dried up enough) hence the elasticity.

Nothing you can do, as you suggested it will all come out in the wash ;-) Or more likely when you come to redecorate down the road (paint is much better than just water at bringing up paint that has not adhered well). I hope it works out for you.
baker360360
Newly registered Member

Should I keep going?

Post by baker360360 »

Your right about the 2nd top coat going on too quick I only left it an hour. The tin said 2-4 between coats. Luckily enough I only done that on the first small wall the rest I’ve given plenty of time between coats.
OchAye

Should I keep going?

Post by OchAye »

Just FYI. The minimum drying times are for professionals who have to finish quickly etc. In your/my case, the best bet is next day for second coat ... there again I prefer belt and braces.
baker360360
Newly registered Member

Should I keep going?

Post by baker360360 »

That’s exactly how the rest has gone. One coat before work and another the next day. 👍
These users thanked the author baker360360 for the post:
OchAye (Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:05 pm)
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”