Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

j4nd3r53n
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Problem with water around sink

Post by j4nd3r53n »

I have a problem with water always collecting around the kitchen sink. The worktop is some dark hardwood, the edge of the sink is about 2 - 3 mm above the surface of the worktop, and I have varnished the enire worktop with a two-component polyurethane varnish that I got from a nearby marina, and it seems to be extremely durable; still looks good after 12 years. However, I am worried about the water eventually seeping down by the wall and rotting the wood. Is there anything that I could use to fill the slight hollow between the sink and the wall, so that the water won't always stand there? I was thinking of simply painting repeated ly with my super-varnish until it is think enough, but that is not going to be a quick job, and it isn't exactly healthy while it is drying. Is there anything, more thick like epoxy glue, but completely clear and colourless?
ayjay

Re: Problem with water around sink

Post by ayjay »

Clear silicone sealant, but beware, some silicones are only recommended for non-absorbent surfaces, (may not apply to varnished wood).

https://www.screwfix.com/p/geocel-the-w ... 90ml/92565
One day it will all be firewood.
j4nd3r53n
Newly registered Member

Post by j4nd3r53n »

Hi ayjay, silicone sealant is definitely not what I am after - it is too soft, for one thing. I need something that sets hard and is clear and glossy like what is already on the worktop. There must be something like that somewhere.
gc1967

Post by gc1967 »

j4nd3r53n wrote:Hi ayjay, silicone sealant is definitely not what I am after - it is too soft, for one thing. I need something that sets hard and is clear and glossy like what is already on the worktop. There must be something like that somewhere.
Surely as suggested clear silicone mastic is the answer, when properly cured it is rock hard and wont come off, its clear and in my opinion it is glossy and this will stop water running down the back of the worktop, someone please correct me if I am wrong but when worktops are fitted professionals mastic around them :help:
Puma

Post by Puma »

Silicon is not rock hard when set. But it is fairly durable. You can buy sealing strips

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KITCHEN-WORKTO ... B00HU4R3YK

Let us know if you find a clear one.

I am not sure but look at 'sticks like s***' clear - I think it sets a lot firmer than silicon, cannot quite remember - there might be something clear in the 'weather proof sealant' section which would do some of them are quite tricky to achieve a finish with.
j4nd3r53n
Newly registered Member

Post by j4nd3r53n »

I finally worked out what to do, and I think it might be of interest to others. I bought a bottle of two-component plastic resin, the kind you use to make these clear paper weights with something embedded in the middle. I bought it from CFS Fibreglass Supplies, but you can find it everywhere. It sets very hard and clear as water, you just need to keep it completely dry (to avoid clouding) and well aired, because it smells worse than most paints and thinners.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Be sure to post pics, ideally before and after :thumbright:

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”