can you get pipe expanders for small steel tube?

Metalworking questions in this section please

Moderator: Moderators

Adam32

Post by Adam32 »

I have some steel tube with an outside diameter of 22mm. The tube has a wall thickness of 1.5mm. What I want to do is expand the end of one section of 22mm tube so that it slides over the top of another section of 22mm tube. I see plenty of pipe expanders for much larger tube, such as exhaust pipe, but can't find anything designed for smaller steel tube. The only thing I see smaller are expanders designed for copper pipe and not steel. Does anyone have any ideas for something that would work with my steel tube?
Dave54

Re: can you get pipe expanders for small steel tube?

Post by Dave54 »

I'm only guessing, but it sounds too much expansion to me. Your looking at stretching the outside from roughly 69mm circumference, to 78.5mm. That's a lot. I think the tube would split.
1.5mm thick steel takes some manipulating as well, at least without pretty heavy gear or heat.
Like I say I could be wrong, but that's my gut feeling, and why you haven't found a way to do it.
Can you weld short lengths of bigger tube or the appropriate sockets on to do the same job?
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

imho the wall is too thick, sleeve it, drill 2 holes in the sleeve and weld it or sleeve it internally

pipe expanders are usually used on thin wall tube

if you really want to expand the end your have to make a tool up with a taper on the end, Then get the tube cherry red hot and beat it in to submission

Edit. you could also turn down one end of tube and bore out the other, so that it slots together or a sold rod in the centre (assuming your not running anything up the centre of the tube)
Adam32

Post by Adam32 »

Bob225 wrote:
if you really want to expand the end your have to make a tool up with a taper on the end, Then get the tube cherry red hot and beat it in to submission
I thought about the taper idea and heating it, but the problem is I only have basic tools here, so it may be difficult to make a taper. I don't even have a welder these days after my old welder broke a few years ago. Wonder if there is anything I could buy that I could experiment with as a taper?
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

sleeve it drill a hole through and nut and bolt it
handyman.pea
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by handyman.pea »

As you do not have access to a welding machine and it doesn't appear to have to be air or water tight, Using a piece of 1" 16swg tube as a side over and riveting it may be an option. Good luck.
Adam32

Post by Adam32 »

handyman.pea wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:42 pm As you do not have access to a welding machine and it doesn't appear to have to be air or water tight, Using a piece of 1" 16swg tube as a side over and riveting it may be an option. Good luck.
I used a long carbide burr to hollow out some of the material and then forced a large bolt in. I used a hammer at first and then turned it in with a socket. This expanded the tube enough, and then I finally smoothed the inside out with a burr again. It now slides over

Return to “Metalworking Forum”