Advent vice versa tape measure

Reviews of hand tools in this forum please.

Moderator: Moderators

London mike 61

Post by London mike 61 »

For a very long time I’ve been irked by the fact that the Stanley fatmax tape measure that I’ve been using has got feet and inches on one side of the tape and metric on the other. When doing measurements from left to right, the metric side is nearest to you and imperial away from you so if the edge you want to measure is on the imperial side then you have to hold the tape awkwardly to get a metric reading.
So, I’ve finally found a tape measure that is everything I want after watching a review of it on another site. The Advent tape has metric measurements on both edges of the tape on the upper edge AND both edges on the underside of the tape as well. Which means that you can take accurate measurements from many different angles without having to twist the tape or your neck.
The tape has a locking button and a button to stop the tape retracting too fast and slicing a finger off in the process.
I bought mine from toolstation and got the 8m tape but they also do a 5m one as well

There are occasions when a imperial tape has its use but for most of what I do the Advent one will be my go-to tape from now on.

Mike
These users thanked the author London mike 61 for the post:
Dave54
Rating: 7.14%
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
Rorschach

Re: Advent vice versa tape measure

Post by Rorschach »

Gosforth Handyman did a video about this recently, I am going to get one, they look great.
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

I'm going to get one next time I go to toolstation.
Annoying as anything having inches on a tape at all, let alone in the "prime spot"
I changed over to metric over 30 years ago.
Liam2349

Post by Liam2349 »

Great idea to print under the tape as well. Anyone know what the stand-out is on these, vs. the near-4m on FatMax Pro tape measures?

I probably won't be getting one but it looks pretty cool, and less than half the price of the FatMax Pro tapes, though my FatMax Pro is mostly metal construction. I also don't use inches, not unless someone else wants something measuring in inches. Looks like the 8m variant has a large tip on the tape, similar to the FatMax ones.
London mike 61

Post by London mike 61 »

Rorschach wrote:Gosforth Handyman did a video about this recently, I am going to get one, they look great.
Yeah, he did a great review, here is the link

https://youtu.be/9vg776v1VF4

Mike
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
nsansomuk
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by nsansomuk »

Stanley do an all metric version which is very nice, although expensive.

Also... I imported a Johnson all-Imperial one which is my absolute favourite for timber framing projects.
These users thanked the author nsansomuk for the post:
London mike 61 (Thu May 07, 2020 3:48 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Chippo1

Post by Chippo1 »

Used one for several years now it is very good and accurate. In fact I wore mine out. Recently bought a Magnusson tape from Screwfix very good also dims both side and a magnetic tip, so really good for picking up screws n nails, saved the back.
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

You want one of them their euro tapes

8m Stanley Fatmat 0-33-892

eg. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STANLEY-FatM ... SwG21ec3aZ
Chippo1

Post by Chippo1 »

That Stanley still does not have measurements on the reverse of the tape, which is so much better for marking out as the edge of the tapes sits tight to the work piece.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

London mike 61 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:09 pm For a very long time I’ve been irked by the fact that the Stanley fatmax tape measure that I’ve been using has got feet and inches on one side of the tape and metric on the other.....

When doing measurements from left to right, the metric side is nearest to you and imperial away from you so if the edge you want to measure is on the imperial side then you have to hold the tape awkwardly to get a metric reading.
Like you I prefer a metric on both edges tape. You can get actually get a metric/metric reading Fatmax 8m tape from Amazon though. Replaced my previous 8m tape (another 8m metric/metric) this summer after nearly 2 years use (for me that is a record). I still need a metric/Imperial tape for some jobs (like setting joists on 16in centres where metric 400mm doesn't work, such as when using 8 x 4ft plywood), so I still hsve a Bahco 8m stainless steel.model with a magnetic end. This tape is double sided

I also have a third tape, a 6m Hultafors Talmeter tape which is metric only and double marked to allow accurate internal measurements (way faster than squint and guess). This tsoe has sharp points which can be usedto score the odd sheet of plasterboard, too

All three of these tapes seem to read more or less alike as well, so a measure tsken on one will be the same on the other two, or at least within a millimetre or so. Cheap tapes never seem that accurate in my experience and they are slso not that robust in my experience
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
croggy
Newly registered Member

Post by croggy »

Don't see the point of vice versa tapes, the top line is upside down, can see how it would suit a left hander though.

Have just got the hultafors and the facility for internal measurement is v helpful.

The things that people complain about on Amazon reviews are the ones I find helpful, like a slightly stiff action and the sharp end. These have helped greatly when measuring roof timbers on my current diy job.
Chippo1

Post by Chippo1 »

Used upside down you get a far more accurate reading or point to mark as both edges of the tape site directly on the workpiece.

I use a 300 and 600mm steel rule a lot as well.
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

croggy wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:08 pm Don't see the point of vice versa tapes, the top line is upside down, can see how it would suit a left hander though.
As a leftie myself, (and peed off with most tools being right-handed) I've always found it strange that tapes are ideally set up for lefties.

Tape in right hand, place on left hand end of work-piece and you can read the tape the correct way up and mark off with the pencil in the usual left hand.

As an aside, right-handed tools don't always work out right: my little 7 -1/4" circular saw has one of those buttons that need pushing in before it'll start up - not if you're left handed, cos the button gets shoved in by the palm of my hand when I pick it up - I actually prefer that, it's how tools used to be before the safety elf got his hands on them - it's nice to get one up on the safety elf. :-)
One day it will all be firewood.

Return to “Hand tool reviews”